What is salt creep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt creep is when salt from your tank crystalizes on the sides of your tank when either it is splashed and dries or the tank level drops. It is a bad thing because it will lower your SG as salt leaves the water. It only has a really big effect on smaller tanks, such as a nano reef.

the only way i know of is to prevent it is to keep your tank completly sealed.we have it on our 29 gal glass but not on are 75 gal and 180 gal acrylic.

OK, this may be a dumb one??!!??! How do you keep a tank completely sealed. This is something I have thought about since deciding to go reef. I still want good gas exchange on the surface. Also if i decide to go MH later with the lighting won't I lose some light to the glass top?

are acrylic tanks have just one little hole in the top on both sides so you can get the lids off. they have no salt creep what so ever. our glass tank has a glass canopy on it and it has salt creep all over.as for the lighting ? i'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom