What kind of Urchin??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought an urchin about 2 months or so ago and it has not been a problem until recently. My rock has been turning white where he goes and then turns back later. I think it is eating my coraline algae. I am not sure what kind of urchin it is but iit is a brownish red color with sharp points. I will try to get a pic soon. Hopefully someone can help. I need to know if it is reef safe. It hasn't hurt my star polyps yet but I wanna make sure it is ok to put mor corals in.

Thanks
Josh

Sounds like a rose urchin, all urchins will eat coraline agae, the benefit there is when they poop...they spread it to other places in the tank as well. The urchin is reef sage, except it will be a bull dozer, knocking down any corals in it's path.

Most al of the urchins are reef safe to the point of exactly what you are going through.... Coraline and corals are their main diet... Sorry, but if you want to keep the urchin, he will make lunch out of all of the coraline he can find... IMO, you should try and see if the LFS will take him back on a credit of some sort....

i know eyeball urchins ,which are all black,love to eat coraline algae.as for reef safe i'm not sure.so i'm guessing other urchins like coraline algae to.

Diadema savignyi isnt that bad of an urchin and not so pushy thru the tank but try feeding him more dry algae that might help slow him down

Most al of the urchins are reef safe to the point of exactly what you are going through.... Coraline and corals are their main diet...

Tim, can you give the reference that tells you most urchins will eat coral?

It really does depend on which species you choose. Some like me see a benefit from their constant scraping of the coralline sufaces and some don't.Some urchin may damage corals indirectly but I have not seen them actually consume them. The one IME, that has proven to be the best is the Blue Tuxedo Urchin Mespilia globulus.

Great algae eater and does not "strip" coralline bare. It's more like a light shaving. Either way not a bad addition.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom