What Light Should I Get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so im torn between 2 lights, before anyone says anything I know they arnt the best light I can have but I will be upgrading my tank in the future and dont want to spend to much on a temp Light.

So the main difference in the lights is this, The Fishneedit.com fixture has individual reflectors and I am assuming this is better then the one on Ebay that doesnt have individual reflectors but has Blue LED moonlighting.

My problem is I want moon Lighting however I cant find a T5HO light with Individual reflectors and LED lights that is in my budget of $150.

Here are the 2 Lights so you can look for yourself.
This One Is On Ebay
FishNeedIt.com Light

I just got my fishneedit fixture and love it! It surprised me at how nice it was for the price. My corals have already perked up and i see a marked difference in only like 3 days. It puts out way more light than my MH 150w clip on lamp did. i am very pleased with it. The only bad thing is the moonlighting option, I really really wish they had it on my fixture but I will have to suck it up for $100 bucks. lol

Maybe I can get a little strip or something and see if I cant mount it some how. Everything iv seen about the fishneedit.com fixtures are positive and I dont think the light on ebay is certified...

I shopped ebay also before I bpught the fishneedit light. I didn't like the mounts on the one you linked and the odyssea ones arent that great as far as quality build, I've had those fixtures before too.

everything i read about odyssea is bad. I just hope the mounting brackets on the 2ft fixture fit because my tank is like 24 1/4'' knowing how the legs mount would you say it would work?

Yep. It's sliding so it will fit smaller than 24" and more than 24", probably by about 3 inches total. You should be fine. I don't think you'll regret them, i sure don't so far.

yeah thats what im thinking, Im going to go with the fishneedit fixture Im sure ill be happy with it. Then when I move and upgrade to my 40gallon I will turn it into a Low tech planted FW tank for my pair of kribs that will have been in the 40 gallon tank.

carey said:
Yep. It's sliding so it will fit smaller than 24" and more than 24", probably by about 3 inches total. You should be fine. I don't think you'll regret them, i sure don't so far.

Will it support sps? Lps? Etc. I am thinking about getting one for my 90 gallon

I don't think it would be an ideal light for a 90g due to the depth of the tank. At most it may grow some lps but nothing special in my opinion.

I know that this light wouldnt be good enough for a hi-tech planted in a 90 gallon so I wouldnt say it would be good for corals because they require more light

There are a few sps that don't have to have intense light I have one in my 55 with T5 lights at the very bottom of the tank. I don't remember what it is called it has quadrupled in size at least in the past 5 or 6 months. I want to move it to my other tank but I am afraid it will bleach out, LPS shouldn't be much of a problem some do best in the shade but need to be fed. I have noticed with the MH the light diminishes a lot faster as it goes towards the bottom of the tank than T5 does.

What kind of bulbs come in those fixtures?? I have the odyssea fixture from ebay...no individual reflectors, it's an okay light, but when I upgrade my tank, I'm going to get better lights. I had to buy different bulbs too....they stunk!!

Well heres what I want to have

Maxima Clam
Pectinia Spiny Cup Coral
Birds Nest Green
Green Fluorescent Mushroom
Blue Mushroom
Eagle Eye Zoanthus Colony Polyp
Some kind of Acropora coral
Brain Coral

I would think all of those will be fine under my light, my question however also is do I just stick these on my live rock? In my sand? How do I attach them?

The clam is the one I would be most concerned about. If the clam is good then the rest is going to be fine. I don't have a clam because I am not for sure it I could keep up with the calcium and the light issue even if I have 150w MH.

Yep, I do. :) it's only been about a week though so thats not nearly long enough to be sure. But it does look good on the sandbed, its open and colorful so I guess that's a good sign. What's kinda weird is it moved. lol I sunk it down into the sand some and now it's not in as far and is over by about a half inch from where I placed him. LOL

I'm still feeling out the rest of the corals, see how they respond based on placement and what not. The light seems sufficient for what I have currently. I don't know if SPS would be pushing it, unless it's just a few pieces and they are placed high enough.

For whatever it's worth, I have a derasa clam that seems to be doing well under 150W metal halide and 1 24" HO T5. I do keep him pretty high in the tank, though. I understand that deresas normally like the sand bed though. I can't remember if it's maximas or croceas (or both) that like to be on rockwork better. I know I've had maximas in the past under 4-bulb VHOs in the same tank that did not do as well. I think deresas (and mine is also an ORA one) might be hardier. I have not tried any sps yet, although I think I have a small colony of something on the rock my red mushrooms are on.

Back
Top Bottom