What size return pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
So im starting my 20g sump/fuge for my exsisting 20g reef. I will be using a siphon overflow box rated at 300g per hr. The return will have to push the water up 3 feet plus at least a couple elbows, I guess. Also I will be wanting a ball valve on the return line right?

What size pump should I get? Any recommendations of good brands to look at? I was thinking a MagDrive? I've heard good things...

Thanks
-Mike

MagDrives, IMO, are in the top 5 of the greatest pumps made. Silent and extremely reliable.

The smallest Mag is the Mag 500. This pump is designed to pump 500 GPH on a flat plain. You overflow is only designed to handle 300 GPH. Remember, it is always better to make sure your overflow can handle more flow than what your pump can push out. This is so you don't end up with an overflowed tank and water all over the floor because the overflow couldn't "catch up".

However, you may be able to get away with using the 500 since you did say that your head height is 3 feet and you do have a couple of elbows in the return. According to the manufacturer, at a 4' head height, the Mag 5 GPH is 310.

I would wait to get a few more opinions before buying anything...

Actually, you can get a Mag 2 and Mag 3 as well. I'd probably go with the Mag 5 though. You might have to install a valve on the pressure side in case the flow is a bit too much.

Mag 7

I'm running a Mag 7 and using a 300gph overflow. I got the Mag 7 because I estimated my head at more that 6 feet. Even so, I had to throttle the Mag 7 back a bit.

Easier to overestimate on the pump and throttle it back than wish you had purchased more. Make sure you put in a ball valve that enables you to do this, though. Also...make sure you can disconnect the pump easily in case you have to service it.

Nice...thanks guys, that pretty much sums it up for me. I will definitely get the Mag 5 and use a ballvalve...no problem!

Now, do you guys use flexible hose from the overflow box to the sump, or PVC? Obviously I will be using PVC on the return line for the ballvalve. Just curious whats what with PVC vs flexible hose.

Also, what size PVC should I use?

Thanks again!

I have a 90 gallon with a tidepool2. The bulkhead has a barbed fitting for 1" pipe and the return is a barbed 3/4". What size return pump can I run. I don't want to buy too big or too small. The water must travel about 5' vertical and 1' horizontal. Recommendations?

reefaddict,
I would use 1/2 schedule 20 PVC if you can get it. It's thinner than the regular PVC (sched 40) and consequently has a slightly larger internal diameter. I would use a globe valve if you can find one...if not, go with a gate valve. The gate valve will be easier to adjust and will cause less turbulence in the return line.

ashearier,
The Tidepool 2 is rated for up to 600 gph ( www.marineland.com ). For a submersible pump, I'd probably go with a Mag 7. If you want to drill the sump and run an external pump, I'd go with a Blueline 30HD. Check out this page for info on pump specifications: http://www.captiveraisedcorals.com/pumpspecs.htm

One question guys: is the Mag 5 different from the MagDrive 500gph? I thought I found a website that had several items that I want to get, but I couldn't find the Mag5 on the 500......

Back
Top Bottom