Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
You would be able to do Soft coral, LPS, and possibly SPS higher up on your rockwork ( top 1/3 of the tank ) with a four bulb T5 unit on that tank.
Most people like to ease their stock into and out of the light, If given the ability, therefore the actinics on first and off last. Plus it simulates a more natural photoperiod.
__________________

__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
You would be able to do Soft coral, LPS, and possibly SPS higher up on your rockwork ( top 1/3 of the tank ) with a four bulb T5 unit on that tank.
Most people like to ease their stock into and out of the light, If given the ability, therefore the actinics on first and off last. Plus it simulates a more natural photoperiod.
Okay I thought so.. I really like zoas and they're the main coral I want to keep, so really I just need enough light for those..
__________________

__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
You should have good light for Zoanthids.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
You should have good light for Zoanthids.
Great!

mr_X slightly confused me, so I was a little concerned haha. He said It would be enough for anything, then said could keep soft corals and some lps..
__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Best of luck with your tank 00!
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Best of luck with your tank 00!
Thanks!
__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
You can easily grow most soft corals and many LPSs with your lights. SPS growers advocate higher light than is needed for soft coral setups on every forum. You've got a great light setup. if you want better light in the future just get the best replacement bulbs you can when the time comes to get fresh lamps. You'll be amazed what good German bulbs can do. ^_^
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
You can easily grow most soft corals and many LPSs with your lights. SPS growers advocate higher light than is needed for soft coral setups on every forum. You've got a great light setup. if you want better light in the future just get the best replacement bulbs you can when the time comes to get fresh lamps. You'll be amazed what good German bulbs can do. ^_^
Perfect! That's what I was under the impression of! And for bulbs I assume you mean giessmann(sp).

P.S. any recommendations on how long I should have the lights on? Obviously lights are my worst 'subject' haha.
__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Perfect! That's what I was under the impression of! And for bulbs I assume you mean giessmann(sp).

P.S. any recommendations on how long I should have the lights on? Obviously lights are my worst 'subject' haha.
I like a 10 hour photoperiod. 12 for blues if you like the dusk/dawn effect (I like it).
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

I like a 10 hour photoperiod. 12 for blues if you like the dusk/dawn effect (I like it).
Okay, thanks!
__________________

__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Hair algae | epoxy »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.