What to feed my Boxing Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfriends

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of these little scamps but am unsure as to what to feed them? I know that they are not starving as they keep shedding their exoskeleton but whatever I feed them goes uneaten... just tried cockles and they just played with them! Any ideas?

Would you happen to have the scientific name of these shrimps or a pic? what is cockles?

A lot of shrimps enjoy meaty foods.

Lybia tessellata I believe. Hope I spelled that right. I thought they were just scavengers and would eat what came along but, you might want to PM TCTFish. I believe she keeps one.

I assumed it was the crab since it's the only "boxing" invert I've ever heard of. Have to wait and see.

Perhaps its a common name which isn't used in America..... I'm certainly not confused between a crab and a shrimp though! I think it is a scavenger.. but seeing as I currently only have two common clowns, I worry if it can possibly be getting enough?

I have attached a photo...

Attachments

• boxing_shrimp.jpg
    boxing_shrimp.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 131
Sorry for the assumption on my part. (Stenopus hispidus) They are commonly known as banded coral shrimp in my area. And they will eat just about anything. As long as your feeding the tank, it should get enough. But, a meaty bit from time to time would be appreciated I'm sure. Great pic. :D

Fluff said:
Sorry for the assumption on my part. (Stenopus hispidus) They are commonly known as banded coral shrimp in my area. And they will eat just about anything. As long as your feeding the tank, it should get enough. But, a meaty bit from time to time would be appreciated I'm sure. Great pic. :D

No problem at all. I thought there would probs be a difference with the common names! Thanks for advice, like I said.. they're alive and shedding so they can't be going hungry! I just like to see things eating!

Back
Top Bottom