What type of puffer do I have? Longhorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacklyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am sure this is a stupid question but I just started a salt water tank a couple of weeks ago. This site is really great I just joined

I just got a puffer and I searched online but couldn't find out which one he is. He or she kinda looks like a longhorned cow puffer except he has no horns yet. (do they grow as they get older) He is yellow, about 1 inch and is cow shaped with a flat bottom, shaped sorta like a trapazoid and a tail that he uses just like a rudder. He moves like a submarine. He is soooo cute. I need to get a digital camera to capture his true cuteness!!!

thanks in advance for any help :roll:

Cowfish and Pufferfish are two different types of fish. Imo, it sounds like a Thornback Cowfish (lactoria fornasini). The horns will not grow to the lengths of the Longhorn Cowfish, but they are still an awesome fish.

Hope this helps.

Not to get off the subject about the cowfish, but all actuallity not all biologist consider the two relatives.

Family Ostraciidae- trunkfish, cowfish (some call the cowfish a puffer that doesn't blow up) What makes them different is the cowfish are encased in a hard dermal shell and can release deadly toxins when threatened.

Family Tetraodontidae- puffers (that blow up) puffers are smooth and some have small prickles.

Subfamily Canthigastinae- sharpnose puffers

I guess what it really boils down to is who you talk to. Either way, they are both very unique and beautiful creatures.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for the updates !!!

I found out I do have a long longhorned cowfish. Anyway I am sorry to report that he passed away because of a battle of ICH. He had ICH when I bought him; I thought that was the way he should look because ICH looks a little different in fresh water fish. Anyway I am going to wait a month before I add any more fish. My clown fish got it to (orange striped with white) I forgot what he was called. The clown fish died almost overnight and he was eating the night before so I thought I had more time then I did.

Anyway sorry to report
:(

thanks for all your help

jackie

I'm sorry for your loss. During your month wait for your main tank, now would be a great time to set up a >>quarantine tank<<. This will make it easier to keep parasites and disease out of the display aquarium and give you a safe place to treat for disease.

Back
Top Bottom