Whats are the best macro algaes to go with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I just built a new sump and had some problems along the way with my chaeto, I have decided to go with all new macros for the tank. Anyway, I plan on adding some new chaeto but was wondering what else there is for reducing nitrates and getting good nutrient export. Right now I have 70 watts of T5 lighting and want a good diversity of macro in the sump. What do you guys mostly use? I was thinking about going with chaeto and feather caluprea, but just wanted to know what else you guys are using and have had success with and if their is anyother that are good. You can really find a good diversity on ebay and was just wondering what to stay away from and what different varieties do in general. Your opinions would be most appreciated.............

I use grape Calerpa but there is problems if you dont keep lights on 24/7 and keep it pruned. I feed my tang a baseball size ball of it every week. It will go what they call sexual where it will release gamates into the water causing the water to look milky looking. I`ve never had any problem in the 9+ yrs I`ve had grape calerpa but as I said the lights for the sump must be on 24/7. Monthly pruning is a must also.

I dont mind pruning at all and I do keep my lights on a 24 hour schedule. Have you found that they have a similiar impact as chaeto does? Because when I had my chaeto it grew rapidly and never had trouble with nitrates.

the caulerpa's are actually better for nitrate reduction then chaeto...but as previously mentioned, they come with their own sets of risks. Chaeto is a totally safe way to go.

I vote for chaeto and mexicana. I have mostly a mexicana caulerpa and it works great and grows fast. No pruning needed and it does not go sexual
I had my grape go sexual 3 times in my tank and I will never use it again. It takes a week for things to get back to normal, skimmer goes nuts water looks like crap. It does not kill anything just a PIA.
My issue was I did not prune enough...

I just got some from a local reefer a month ago.. It is cool stuff and he was not sure what it was called. He says his tangs love it and it grows well for him. My mexicana is choaking it out so I need to trim some mexicana.

My mexicana is choaking it out so I need to trim some mexicana
Sounds like "fire engine red" macro may not grow as aggressively or fast as macros commonly used, which means less nutrient removal.
Seaham358, do you think it would be good for PO4, NO3 reduction? I notice in the link it's growing under 400 w MH...wow, is that much light really necessary for it?

I`ve never seen mexicana macro. Do you have a pic or a link Seaham. I might see about getting some.

Well after looking at pics on the net I'm not 100% sure its mexicana caulerpa now???
It was given to me as Mexicana but there is another species that looks more like it.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/caulerpaalg.htm

It looks kind of like both in these pics but on othere sites my leaves are much smaller then on the mexicana. On this site it looks like caulerpa sertularoides.

What ever it is it grows fas and keeps NO3 at 0 for years. Just yanked a soft ball size piece out last night and put it in my fuge on the 55.

MT my caulerpa grows under a 20 watt NO fish tank light, thats it. Even my small clumb of cheto is growing some. Its been my experience that macro does not need much light to do well. NO3 reduction is great but PO4 not sure if it reduces that much. If I had to guess I would say there is not much PO4 removal with macro. I have a PB reactor for that.

Almost looks like feather calerpa. I have several strands in my refuge. Looks like it anyway.

Seaham said:
Its been my experience that macro does not need much light to do well. NO3 reduction is great but PO4 not sure if it reduces that much. If I had to guess I would say there is not much PO4 removal with macro. I have a PB reactor for that.
I was actually referring to the macro in the link provided by Squado called "fire engine red" macro. The link says it needs high light, and is currently housed under 400 w MH by the seller. I've never saw it before, and was just curious if it grew fast/aggressively enough to work at nutrient reduction and if it really needed that much light.?
It says Cheato needs high light on many sites. It grows for me under a 19 watt fluorescent flood lamp (equivalent to 85w incandescent bulb).
FWIW macro's will reduce PO4 some, but like you I use a PO4 reducing media in addition to growing cheato.

Well I'll Let u know how long the red stuff lasts in my fuge under 20 watt NO lighting. Its been a little over a month or so now and its still alive. I'll see what the guy I got it from has for light.

Is it true that macros do better under lower wattage lighting? The reason why I asked is because I had chaeto and feather in my previous sump under NO lighting and it grew great. I switched the lighting to T5 (more watts/gallon too) and it slowly detiorated and wound up for the most part dying. I think in the new sump im gonna switch back to NO lighting and see if thats works better. Also, while im posting, do you think it is a good idea to stick to a couple of types of macro or go with some of the packages you find on ebay with like six different types (listed as refuguim started packs)?

Back
Top Bottom