Whats would i need to put together a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddiedellz

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 65 gallon tank that i would like to add a sump to mostly put the skimmer in.. i have a 20 gallon tank that i could use for it what would i need as far as pumps and such? and what should i do to prevent spilling incase of a power outage? .. thanks! -Ed

Since the pump in the sump will die with the electricity, you'll need a way to kill the siphon.

If you use a PVC pipe for the input, drill a couple holes in the tube just below the waterline in the tank. If the water level drops in the aquarium (in the event that the power's out and the water is siphoning out), air will enter the holes and break the siphon.

you may want to consider placing baffles between the skimmer and the return pump to reduce or eliminate bubbles that could be pumped up to your main tank.

other then the tank and the overflow what kind of pumps and such do i need? just a pump to return an the siphon? thanks!

You'd need an overflow box, return pump, and something to collect the water.

That's the very basics of a sump. Depending on your overflow rate (GPH) will determine what size pump you need for the return. It's recommened to have your return pump pushing just under the overflows max GPH back to the tank.

Make sure you account for head pressure, and make sure your sump can handle the extra water should there be a power outage.

Back
Top Bottom