Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist
Compare this to having a boat or a swimming pool for instance. Yep they all can be expensive. At least once your tank is established and stocked the expenses will wane and except for maintenance are voluntary. You could easily go six months without purchasing anything but water if you don't have your own ro/di system, salt mix, maybe some additives and feed.

Try that with your boat or your pool. You will soon have a green pool and a wet boat. Neither are preferred. You probably wont find yourself kicked back in an easy chair admireing how wonderfull your boat or pool has become either.

natman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
I sold the boat and have a pool.....No comparison. Here is a idea. Put the greenhouse over the inground pool = instant 30,000 gallon SW tank. Seriously this hobby takes a lot of time and money but it is enjoyable. If it was not we would not all be here now.

*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good points brenden. Here are the facts for me though. I was insomniac with restless leg syndrome. I put the tank about six feet from my bed which is a pain but I have a Murphy bed so I can raise it and still have room to work on the tank when necessary.

I have worked my lighting schedule so the tank goes dark around ten. About a ten hour photo period. I try to lay down and start watching the tank around eight thirty. By lights out I am asleep and legs dont bother me.....Money well spent
natman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by dorian965
yea, i got a 55 used with live rock and fish for 300 and ive spent 800 on filters,skimmers and power heads.havent even got around to lights and coral.
This sounds familiar. I bought fish, inverts, LR, and substrate from someone that was moving for $80. It was such a great deal that I couldn't resist, despite the fact that I had decided a few months earlier that it was too expensive...

So I had to buy a tank and stand. And then lights because there was one poor bleached anemone I tried to save. And the material to build a new stand because I wasn't happy with the old one. And several pieces of plexiglass as I experimented with sump setups, along with PVC for overflows and returns and a pump. But it was such a deal!

Of course, Hurricane Rita came and knocked out the power for three days. Grrr. Lost most of the inverts and one of the fish. The rest made a trip to TN in a 5 gallon bucket where they suffered for a month in a 29 gallon tank. Did get a deal on LR, though.

Back to LA, shelled out the money for a DSB to replace the CC. Also bought the skimmer I had been lusting over and had built the sump to hold...

But it was such a deal...

Of course, now it's set up, ready to morph into a reef tank instead of a FOWLR. *watches the money slip through her fingers*

j_a_wickstrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com