Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
which protien skimmer?

Which protien skimmer would be the most effective for a 46 gal reef tank with a 20-30 gal sump/fuge? The three I have narrowed it down to are the Bak-Pak 2R, the Aqua C remora, or the Aqua c urchin. I want to put the skimmer in the sump/fuge.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #2

The bak pak is less exspensive but the remora will skim better than the bak pak and requires less maintenance. I would just go with a urchin if you want an in sump skimmer and a remora if you think you will ever need to run it on a sumpless tank.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
I have a red sea prizm protein skimmer...it works very well in my 29 gallon. It is rated for 75 gallons I believe. It didn't break the bank and was rated well on other websites.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Do you want the skimmer to sit in the sump or hang on the back of it? That will decide whether you go with the Urchin or Remora. My advice would be either an Urchin Pro or Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. That, although it does cost a bit more, would give you a lot more skimming capacity than the regular Remora/Urchin or and Bak Pak. Another option would be the ASM G-2x although that would be a lot of skimmer for a 46g tank. JMHO.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Checkout the following site. it will help you out with deciding

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/protein_skimmer_impressions.htm

and buy from CaptiveReefs as they will give youa good deal with aa.com 6% discount

75 gal RR Oceanic with AqualightPro (2x150 watt HQI + 2x96 PC)/ 90# LS /90# LR/ Wavemaker

30 gal Refugium/RemoraPro & Mag 3/ 5# miracle Mud/ 10# LS. Light pending
sipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
I have a red sea prizm protein skimmer...it works very well in my 29 gallon. It is rated for 75 gallons I believe. It didn't break the bank and was rated well on other websites.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rsquared333 Send a message via MSN to Rsquared333 Send a message via Yahoo to Rsquared333
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if the using an in sump in the sump or using a hang on on the sump would make a big difference. I looks like one of the aqua C's would do the job most efficently. any other info would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

anyone have any opinions between the urchin and the remora. I have heard a lot of good about the remora on this site but not much mention of the urchin.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

would it be just as efficent hang an Aqua C remora pro on the back of the aquarium instead of putting it in the sump? I have been doing some more research and I am really liking the Aqua C remora pro and just am not sure if it will fit with my sump/fuge so I might just hang it on the back of the aquarium itself.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #10

you can always hang it of the side of the sump! The urchin and remora series are identical in the way they produce bubbles. Only difference in them is the way they are to mounted into the system.

Tags
ich, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com