Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Is it better to keep a QT up and running all the time, or just start when a couple weeks ahead of a new addition? I know that doesn't work for sick fish, since you won't have time to plan ahead for it.

Also, do you need to quarantine corals, or just dip them?

I have a spare 10 gallon tank/heater/powerheads that I could use if a permanent QT is the recommended route. Is anything needed in a permanent setup besides topoff, since it's going to be empty most of the time?
just have a heater and a powerhead in the QT tank will suffice. during the weeks that you don't have a fish in it, throw in some fish food to keep the bb happy.

for corals, dip them is sufficient IMO

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
just have a heater and a powerhead in the QT tank will suffice. during the weeks that you don't have a fish in it, throw in some fish food to keep the bb happy.

for corals, dip them is sufficient IMO
Thanks...also, does the QT need live rock? If so, I'm assuming for a 10 gallon, since it's just a QT, a 5lb chunk would be enough...

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks...also, does the QT need live rock? If so, I'm assuming for a 10 gallon, since it's just a QT, a 5lb chunk would be enough...
rocks are good, if you have some spare or you're willing to spent more money. they provide hiding spots for the new fish, just like in your main tank, and serve as a stress reliever. but if you don't have any rocks (assuming your tank is cycled), you can always buy some 4-5inch pvc pipes and put them in there. they serve the same purpose (hiding spot that is)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was using the PVC, but now have rock. It's just never leaving that tank. I'm not sure the fish care one way or the other though, as long as they have a place to hide when needed.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
I was using the PVC, but now have rock. It's just never leaving that tank. I'm not sure the fish care one way or the other though, as long as they have a place to hide when needed.
+1

People commonly keep a tear down tank handy to set up and QT fish when needed. PVC is the most common decoration for that because it's easy to clean.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is exactly why I went from PVC to rock. I figure I wi be QTing all the upcoming fish for my 240g, so I've got a 45g set up for that now that will stay running until the 240 is fully stocked.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

I figured the rock was more for the BB than the fish (though I see that part, too). With no rock and just PVC, we're relying on the BB in the water column? (Assuming no live sand, either).
Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I figured the rock was more for the BB than the fish (though I see that part, too). With no rock and just PVC, we're relying on the BB in the water column? (Assuming no live sand, either).
BBs are everywhere, the water, glass, rock, and yes even PVCs. the reason why people use rock is because it's porous, thus able to "hold" more BBs than a smooth surface
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

PVC it is, then
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I also use plastic flower pots with fish sized holes in the side. They love them.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com