Why are corals so sensitive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
How is it that corals are so sensitive. I just got yellow button polyps and some xenia for my first corals yesterday. They opend up while acclimating. Today i added water to the tank and they closed up. Is this normal behaviour or did i do somethign wrong????? The water was ph buffered to 8.2.

They will be closed after you turn the lights on in the morning, and if the water current hits them they will close. Are you sure it isn't just that?

They where open all day and when i added the water the closed up
They seem to be opening slowly. Must have change the salinity some without meaning to maybe

I am no expert nor do I want to ride on a high horse here but come on.

Seriously corals are sensitive. That is the reason why saltwater reef tanks are one of the hardest hobbies to partake in. Read the board- look at the issues people run itno- think about the while idea of keeping these very sensitive wild creatures that we know very little about in a small ecosystem that can hardly mimic the ocean.

The smallest things can cause corals to react. New water, new flows, changes in lighting, changes in PH, changes in salinity, changes in temperature, ect. ect.ect.

Everything affests the tank and the corals. Don't worry about it just read, learn and use the board as a stepping stone. If you keep your tank at the right levels and do your PWC then you should be ok. Sit back watch and enjoy. YOu will learn the small things are normally not a big deal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom