Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wife authorizes a lighting upgrade...

Hey all the wife gave her blessing for a lighting upgrade with a catch... anyway right now I have the 265 watt Coralife pc with the fancy flip up mounts that Im going to sell when the new lighting comes along with a coralife 65 superskimmer . Right now Im looking at the ODYSSEA 542 watt Metal halide system anyone have any comments on this model
http://www.aquatraders com/ index.aspPageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=279
or another model in this price range (the catch) everything in the tank is thriving but with more lighting I would be able to keep some hard corals...

Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones. I purchased my MH/CF fixture from aquatraders about 9 months ago, despite negative reviews of their customer service. From my experience, the light arrived packaged very well and in perfect working condition. Customer service prior to purchase was good as well. I have not had a bit of trouble with mine to date. However, buyer beware. I have heard of poor warrenty service and fixtures arriving broken with little to no service. For the price, I have found it to be a good light.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Honestly I dont understand why so many people are pushing the use of metal halide lighting. These lights consume a tremedous amount of energy, put off tons of heat and are flat out too strong for many LPS and Soft Corals. With the advances in Compact Flo., VHO, and T5 lighting I just dont see why hobbyists are still quick to opt for halides.

On the other hand Halides provide the shimmer effect many people love and are great for keeping light heavy SPS corals. Although T5 and Compact Flo. lighting would allow you to keep a wide, wide variety of species. Clams and even some SPS corals can be kept under this lighting. More important then the light type is the wattage and spectrum and with T5 wattage is less important because of the type of output.

For the price you are paying for that Halide fixture from Aqua Traders you could easily afford a nice top of line Current or Coral Life fixture that would perform likely better.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree unless you want clams or Acro's, Mille's and other high light SPS. I have trouble with some softies and mushrooms don't grow at all for me but in my PC lit frag tank, I cannot put my SPS frags. LPS are ok though.

It all depends on what you want to keep.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
Honestly I dont understand why so many people are pushing the use of metal halide lighting. These lights consume a tremedous amount of energy, put off tons of heat and are flat out too strong for many LPS and Soft Corals. With the advances in Compact Flo., VHO, and T5 lighting I just dont see why hobbyists are still quick to opt for halides.

On the other hand Halides provide the shimmer effect many people love and are great for keeping light heavy SPS corals. Although T5 and Compact Flo. lighting would allow you to keep a wide, wide variety of species. Clams and even some SPS corals can be kept under this lighting. More important then the light type is the wattage and spectrum and with T5 wattage is less important because of the type of output.

For the price you are paying for that Halide fixture from Aqua Traders you could easily afford a nice top of line Current or Coral Life fixture that would perform likely better.

Im not jumping on the halide band wagon sort of speak, I was looking at this light for two reasons 1st price,2nd wattage. on the tank now is a Coralife 265 watt pc... which is ok for what I have now but I think with better lighting they would thrive instead of survive... Im open to any input.
point me to this TOP of the line lighting you speak of...
Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=CU01123
Old 05-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice lighting,just a bit out of my price range...wish it was closer in price to the Oddyssa (sp) model... maybe a bit of hunting will find it closer... Thanks for the link... What makes those lights better than Metal Halide? color,price,heat?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont really know enough about the T5's to say they are "better" than anything. Im sticking to MH for shear power and low cost.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
reefbound, if you are in Pa. There is a place in Lancaster:
https://www.thatpetplace.com/Product.../Shopay00.aspx
I got the 216W 48" for 199.99. They matched drsfosterandsmith.com (they have the 48" 432W for $399.99) also the shipping, for you would be cheap and quick. They are desigend to reflect around the light and not back into it. I love mine!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well looking at my info (click button now) what light would be recommended for my tank and the inhabitants, the T-5 by Nova(432watt) or the Metal Halide by Odyssea (542watt). I want what be be better and remember all have been under 265watt pc lighting since October. So with both units Im doubling the output. I would like to house a clam and my ultimate goal is a Rose BTA...

Tags
light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com