Time For An Upgrade!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello fish friends!

About 2 years ago I setup my 60 gallon freshwater community tank. Over the past few months, I've been thinking about upgrading to something bigger and finally found a good deal. A few hours ago I took delivery of my new tank!
Here are a couple photos of it compared to my current tank:

The tank itself is not brand new...I bought it second hand, but there are no scratches on it, the seals are great and it holds water. Prior to getting to me it was home to about 30 cichlids...so it's nice to know it was freshwater.

The dimensions are 48"x25"x18"...coming out to just over 90 gallons.

Now...you may be wondering why didn't I go bigger? Well...originally thought I would go with a 5 foot tank, but when I mocked it up, it just didn't look right on the wall, and a tall tank didn't catch my eye. And at the end of the day...90 gallons is more than 60, at least the last time I checked it was.

Anyway...for $200 I got the tank and stand, a Grech 304b canister filter, 2 Odyssea T5 lights, heaters, air pumps, siphons and algae scrubber. I really only wanted the tank and stand, but fine with the extras.

From what I can see online, the lights are garbage and since I don't plan on running salt or a planted tank...I don't need T5s. I also need to go through the filter and give it a solid cleaning. As far as filtration goes...I know I want a canister, but I'm not sure the Grech is it. With 90 gallons, I think I want two canisters, but need to decide which ones to get; any suggestions?

So yeah...the plan will be to basically copy everything from the old tank to the new....and then just add more fish lol.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm super excited to have a bigger tank and get to buy all new toys :)

Woo-hoo!! Looking good. I gather it's going in the same spot as the old one?

It sure is! Tonight I plan on moving the tank out into the garage to fill it with water and vinegar and get the filter running so that both the tank and filter can get cleaned. Then everything will get scrubbed and rinsed really well.

Back
Top Bottom