Wife authorizes a lighting upgrade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all the wife gave her blessing for a lighting upgrade with a catch... anyway right now I have the 265 watt Coralife pc with the fancy flip up mounts that Im going to sell when the new lighting comes along with a coralife 65 superskimmer . Right now Im looking at the ODYSSEA 542 watt Metal halide system anyone have any comments on this model
http://www.aquatraders com/ index.aspPageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=279
or another model in this price range (the catch) everything in the tank is thriving but with more lighting I would be able to keep some hard corals...

I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones. I purchased my MH/CF fixture from aquatraders about 9 months ago, despite negative reviews of their customer service. From my experience, the light arrived packaged very well and in perfect working condition. Customer service prior to purchase was good as well. I have not had a bit of trouble with mine to date. However, buyer beware. I have heard of poor warrenty service and fixtures arriving broken with little to no service. For the price, I have found it to be a good light.

Honestly I dont understand why so many people are pushing the use of metal halide lighting. These lights consume a tremedous amount of energy, put off tons of heat and are flat out too strong for many LPS and Soft Corals. With the advances in Compact Flo., VHO, and T5 lighting I just dont see why hobbyists are still quick to opt for halides.

On the other hand Halides provide the shimmer effect many people love and are great for keeping light heavy SPS corals. Although T5 and Compact Flo. lighting would allow you to keep a wide, wide variety of species. Clams and even some SPS corals can be kept under this lighting. More important then the light type is the wattage and spectrum and with T5 wattage is less important because of the type of output.

For the price you are paying for that Halide fixture from Aqua Traders you could easily afford a nice top of line Current or Coral Life fixture that would perform likely better.

I agree unless you want clams or Acro's, Mille's and other high light SPS. I have trouble with some softies and mushrooms don't grow at all for me but in my PC lit frag tank, I cannot put my SPS frags. LPS are ok though.

It all depends on what you want to keep.

macman7010 said:
Honestly I dont understand why so many people are pushing the use of metal halide lighting. These lights consume a tremedous amount of energy, put off tons of heat and are flat out too strong for many LPS and Soft Corals. With the advances in Compact Flo., VHO, and T5 lighting I just dont see why hobbyists are still quick to opt for halides.

On the other hand Halides provide the shimmer effect many people love and are great for keeping light heavy SPS corals. Although T5 and Compact Flo. lighting would allow you to keep a wide, wide variety of species. Clams and even some SPS corals can be kept under this lighting. More important then the light type is the wattage and spectrum and with T5 wattage is less important because of the type of output.

For the price you are paying for that Halide fixture from Aqua Traders you could easily afford a nice top of line Current or Coral Life fixture that would perform likely better.

Im not jumping on the halide band wagon sort of speak, I was looking at this light for two reasons 1st price,2nd wattage. on the tank now is a Coralife 265 watt pc... which is ok for what I have now but I think with better lighting they would thrive instead of survive... Im open to any input.
point me to this TOP of the line lighting you speak of...

Nice lighting,just a bit out of my price range...wish it was closer in price to the Oddyssa (sp) model... maybe a bit of hunting will find it closer... Thanks for the link... What makes those lights better than Metal Halide? color,price,heat?

I dont really know enough about the T5's to say they are "better" than anything. Im sticking to MH for shear power and low cost.

Well looking at my info (click button now) what light would be recommended for my tank and the inhabitants, the T-5 by Nova(432watt) or the Metal Halide by Odyssea (542watt). I want what be be better and remember all have been under 265watt pc lighting since October. So with both units Im doubling the output. I would like to house a clam and my ultimate goal is a Rose BTA...

Personally I think the T-5 lighting would serve you just fine. In fact I have a fast growing Montopara colony that is thriving under my T-5 system. The system I use is the Current NOVA 4 54 watt system. I have two blue actinic bulbs and two 10,000k daylight bulbs. It makes in my tank for a total of 4 watts per gallon lighting. I keep a large variety of LPS corals, Anemones, and more even some Acropora colonies that are doing well under the T-5.

I used the Current Orbit 380 watt compact flo. fixture but the high heat output and high, high cost of bulb replacement convinced me to upgrade to T-5. Although the T-5 fixture puts out heat it is not near as intense as MH's heat or Compact Flo. heat.

how are you figuring 4 watts per gallon? That light system you have is 216 watts total right? and on a 75 gallon that would be about 2.88 watts per ... right, or am I missing something...thats actually less wattage that I have now.Or are you supplementing with other lighting?

They have different wattage, you would pick the higher watt kit...I have the 216W lights, mac might have the 432W light fixture.

Well the wife just made it more difficult to make a discission she upped the till, She said go ahead and get eighter one you want 8O . With the Nova extreme 432 watt light, will that be ok to house a clam and bring out more color in the tank? Or will the Odyssea 542watt be the choice for the inhabitants? over my 265watt PC.The two things I want most for the tank is a clam and a Rose bta...with that said what would be best for my tank, Im now leaning for the Nova because of the cost of replacmest bulbs.

edit: will eighter of these lights be to much light???

Wow never seen anyone slam MHs before. Halides are not just for glimmer they offer better coloration of SPS corals too. I have had both and I prefer the MHs hands down. You can get a RBTA under t5 lighting as it will move to where it gets good lighting and good flow. The clam doesn't have to be at the bottom like in most tanks as you place one in the rockwork and it will be fine. (depending on the type of clam I don''t think Gigas would do well on rockwork.)

Well, I think I have made up my mind. I will have to post some before and after pics when I order...just have to decide 4x54 or 8x54... my only con is the 14 inch width on the 8x54 model...

Sorry reefbound I forgot to say I have two slimline aqua light t-5's on the rear of my tank. I had these beforehand and just threw them on there with the new NOVA fixture. T-5 lighting offers more Lumen output then any other flo. lighting source. While the initial wattage is lower the output in spectrums is in fact higher. This means that with T-5 lighting you can have less wattage and still be getting better results because the spectrum is much better. This is a good thing in terms that T-5 will use less electrical power and still put out better spectrum. You can keep RBTA's, clams, even SPS corals and more under t-5 lighting will exceptional results.

My girlfriend keeps a densly planted freshwater aquarium and she made the switch from Power compact to T-5. Her plants were doing way, way better under t-5 and after seeing these perform I was like Man I need some of those. That is why I changed from my old 400 watt fixture to the new 214 T-5 fixture. The fact is I am seeing the same results, maybe even better on some LPS corals that I was seeing under 400 watts of light.

More important than wattage is spectrum, and making sure you mix white light with actinic and that the actinic comes on before and goes off after the white.

I am not slamming metal halides at all since I beleive for an all SPS aquarium they are the only real choice if you want to achieve the glimmering effect and maximum growth. I however dont beleive that Halides are the most practical and best performing fixtures for reef aquariums, I think they are more suited to reef aquariums that specialize in SPS corals. I think that T-5 and Power compact flo. lighting are far better in terms of heat output, and power consumption than any halide. Unless you are keeping only SPS corals why pay more in electricty, more for bulbs, more to cool your tank, all so you can get a glimmer effect??

I still think that flourascent lighting (SO, T-5, Compact Flo. etc) is the king of lighting in any aquarium situation.

with all that said would I need the lower wattage( 4x54 ) because of the increase in lumen output or go with the higher 8x54?

Back
Top Bottom