Will noise hurt the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefflins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The plan is to have my 55g tank in the living room...the same room that i have my big screen tv and 5.1 speaker sound set up...watching movies can be loud at times...would this traumatize the fish? The tank is not in the direct path of any of the speakers, in fact it will also be above the speakers, but soundwaves bump all over things...

Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated.

I have my 225 in the same room as my home theater and have never had a problem. I watch movies and listen to music very loud and have not seen any problems. My tank is built into the wall and is very insulated but I think you should be fine. There have been many posts about this. Try searching tank placement, subwoofer? You may find some more info.

that would be my only comment, as long as the sub-woofer isn't tremendously loud you should be alright.

I've always wondered about the noise issue. I know some noise really carries underwater, and sometimes I wonder if the fish think I'm crazy when I'm jamming to some oldies. . .

I think the biggest things that disturb the fish are the vibrations... If I got within a foot of my tank and yelled my head off my fish wouldn't have a clue what I was doing, but if I bumped the counter their on or something they would dart around like crazy. What I would do is crank it up as loud as you might normally have it and stand in the area you wish to place the tank. If you can have a stand or even a chair or something you can put right where you'll have the tank, then feel it and see if you think it would disturb them... Unless it's touching something that is really vibrating I don't think you'll have any problems...

Just dont put them where they can see the TV and then play Nemo. Once you do that, you will hear all the other fish going "hey! its a Nemo fish" everytime your clown swims by. It really irritates them!

My surround soudn dosen't bother my fish at all. Ive noticed even when it shakes everything, the fish just swim around as if they can't even hear a thing.

DO NOT let them watch nemo.... It gives them all kindza crazy ideas... I came home the other day after they watched it and there was a little sign that I am pretty sure my cleaners taped to the back of my one clowns.. sneaky little guys prolly just pretended to be cleaning him.. the sign red Sharkbait woo haa haa Sneaky little devils those cleaners...I also think I heard them start saying Mine, Mine, Mine, as I tried to feed my corals

Doan

maybe if the speakers are right behind it. As long as it isn't constant, it shouldn't matter. You know, like if you are repairing your house. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom