With more equipment comes more questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davebailey46

Aquarium Advice Activist
A year ago I started a freshwater tank...
6 months ago I read Fenner's book...
3-4 months ago I bought a used established 55 gal SW tank...
And now with all of your help, I am hooked...So for my birthday/christmas I bought myself the tank I really wanted (72 gal AGA with overflow). I am now planning the slow road to setting it up and transferring my stock by the new year. Now with this comes more questions. Let me tell you that I am an engineer for a woodworking company and have a computer controller CNC router that I can use to cut acrylic to any spec. and a friend that works for a glass acrylic company. So of course I'm going to build my own sump to my (educated?) specifications. I have spent countless hours on melevsreef but I still have a few questions:
1. I am obviously going to run the skimmer in the sump. I am leaning toward the CSS 125 (because of cost and the good reviews I ahve seen here). Any others I should really look at? Also does anyone know the operational depth of a CSS 125?
2. How should I plumb the sump? rigid on the supply with a shutoff valve and maybe just flexible on the return with a check valve? Does any one have a picture of their setup?
3. What Mag drive should I get for a 4' head height and to get the correct gph.
4. Also any tips for keeping the setup relatively quiet being that its in my living room?
Heres some specs on the proposed sump...
30"+long 15" tall 10" deep running in line Skimmer-Refugium-Return (supply coming in at the skimmer)
As soon as I can convert Autocad drawings to JPG I will attach the plans to show you all.
Thanks to you all for starting me off these last 3 months on the right foot (I cant imagine people who dont use these resources)
And to think this hobby goes even so much deeper...

The reason probably no one is answering is because to answer all your questions would take about an hour. I cant answer all but I will answer No. 1 Yes put the skimmer in the sump and you`ll hear all kinds of favorites . Mine is the excalibur. Mine does a good job and very quiet. I`ll answer the others tomorrow.

I am obviously going to run the skimmer in the sump....Any others I should really look at?
I run a AquaC and I am very happy.
How should I plumb the sump?
for intake I ran rigid with valves to a larger rigid sleeve so I can easily lift the top off the wet/dry to change filter media. Return is rigid to the manifold at the top of the tank then it is flex to all the outlets.
What Mag drive should I get for a 4' head height and to get the correct gph
Stay away from mag pumps unless it is a 12 or smaller. (big noise makers)
Also any tips for keeping the setup relatively quiet being that its in my living room?
Mine is in the living room also. I lined the entire stand with acoustic foam.

Sorry, I knew they would be long answers...Thank you! I just dont want to blow it
Ok I found the head height would be a Mag 7 @ 4' for 480 gph (under mag 12 so Im looking ok Brenden?)
Great idea with acoustic foam

Sounds good. The smaller mag pumps are good. I run a mag 5 on my UV. I also use two mag 12's to make SW. The larger ones are really noisy and put off a lot of heat. For reference a mag 12 will heat a 35 gallon tub of water from 55 to 80 degrees over night. It will max out at around 90 (room temp 72-3) I have a mag 36 that I am trying to convert into a boat anchor. :) It ran in my tank for 2 days. I could not stand it. It was so noisy and overheated my tank (approx 600 gallons of water)

Brenden,

Do you think a Mag 9 will heat up my 70gal rr and soon to be sump which I think is going to be 29gal.?

Also, Dave did you take into consideration any valves and elbows involved when calculating head pressure? According to the head loss calc over at ReefCentral a mag9 will flow about 640 gph at 4.5 feet of head with 1 ball valve and 1 90 degree elbow (just an example of my situation). I think the mega flow your AGA has is rated at 650gph. Just thought I'd drop my .02 in.

-Eric

Good Point Eric, I was thinking of running flex on the return just haven't figured out the fittings for a check valve and the ball valve. (bigger would be better since I can adjust flow with the ball valve). Long as the heat doesnt jump 2 degrees. Im already running at a steady 80 (b/c of 260 watts of PC)

Back
Top Bottom