yellow tang feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcarola154

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so every website and the LFS has said that yellow tangs are herbivores.... yet when i feed my fish my yellow always eats the mysis shrimp, and totally ignores his seaweed and macroaglae... is this normal?

it is normal for them to eat the frozen meats. Feed the seaweed at a different time of the day and it will most likely eat it then.

Yes my Hippo Tang never ate nori untill I added a Yellow Tang. Now whenever I put some nori in the clip they both go at it like its going outta style. Ohh they eat really anything I throw in there. Frozen Mysis, Live Brine, Flake, and Krill

Most fish in captivity are sort of forced into being omnivores. Most captive tangs will not pass up any type of food introduced into the tank, unless they are sick or stressed. The important part is offering a balanced diet for all of your fish. Feed a variety of meaty foods and plant matter. Just as important as the food is the dietary supplements to go with them. Soaking your food in products like Vita-Chem and Selcon will introduce [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym], ammino-acids, vitamins and minerals important for proper nutrition. In the case of your tang, it will eat pretty much whatever you put in the tank. As mentioned, they are grazers so make sure you provide it with seaweed daily.

I feed my tang like an inch long piece of caulerpa from my fuge every day, along with the seaweed on a clip, is there anything else i should be giving him?

yellow tangs are whacky. I love mine. He only eats the nori when my angel hits it. Otherwise he prefers alot of protein as well.

Back
Top Bottom