Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yes or No to putting this in a reef aquarium?

Deluxe Pyrocystis Culturing Kit - Bioluminescent Algae

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by angielynn View Post
That's very cool, never saw anyone carry it off. I wouldn't add it because of potential risks that could cause you much grief in the future.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I live on the Pacific and there are blooms of something like this in the summer where everything glows bright green when disturbed. Its amazing for swimming or if you're paddling a boat. I've spent hours splashing my hands through it being amazed by the glow. This would be SO cool for a tank...

I'd never add it though, not unless someone else tested it first...lol
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

good thing my tank is still in planning! i am big into researched and not so researched experimentation! some ideas stolen from the internet, mixed with a thought!

Coral - algal symbiosis. A key component of coral physiology. Coral cells contain endosymbiotic dinoflagellates (Glowing dino flagellate springs to mind ) of the genus Symbiodinium (Yep, it is the wrong genus ).

Dinoflagellates convert sunlight and carbon dioxide into photo synthetically fixed carbon, most which is translocated to the coral host, and enhances coral calcification. Reef building corals live in oligotrophic tropical waters with high solar irradiance and warm seawater temperatures, which promote high rates of primary productivity. Moreover, the coral skeleton augments the amount of light within coral cells as compared to irradiance in the adjacent water column. Dinoflagellates, like all photosynthetic organisms, must maintain a delicate balance between the sunlight harvested and processed through photochemistry.

Changes in light and temperature are among a suite of environmental variables that can create an imbalance and ultimately lead to dissociation between the coral and the dinoflagellates (YES, thats right, kill off the natural ones and replace them with, you guessed it = GLOWING ones!)

there is a bacteria too! LOTS more to read up on and who knows what I will try! Probably will still be a clown fish LOL no harm in a bit of reading though!
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Super cool. Im with animal-chin on this. I want someone else to try it! Lol. Deffinately intetesting though.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com