Ziggy's 40B Rebuild 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone!

For those of you who know me and have talked to me over the years you know that I can't let things go for too long before I come back. I had to take my reef down for a major remodel of my place. I was debating on whether or not to set it back up. In the end I made the decision to put the tank back together.

I've been out of the SW hobby for several months and off the site longer. Some friends convinced me to come back and start a new thread for the tank.

For a quick recap on my system:

40B - Drilled with overflow installed (custom - Ziggy drilled)
Mag5 return
Dual MP10s
Euro Reef RS80 Skimmer
RKE - All the bells and whistles
Custom sump w/fuge (20g Long)
Custom LED Lighting - RKE Controlled 42 3w Crees
Custom built stand (Ziggy Built)
Roughly 60lbs of LR
40-50lbs of sand
Custom ATO (nothing special - RKE Controlled)

I sold and or gave away pretty much all coral and fish in the tank.

Current residents:

Pair of B/W O. Clowns
Trio of PJ Cardinals
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Fire Shrimp
A few hermits
Blasto
Frogspawn
Trumpet

The above livestock is what I didn't/couldn't sell or decided not to.

I cooked the rock for about a month and put the system back together. I cycled for about 3 weeks before moving the fish and corals back in.

So far everything looks good and happy. I'm keeping a close eye on the params as there was a lot of crap in the tank before and I'm sure there is some leaching as well as residual crap in the sand. Current plan is to continue doing large PWCs weekly to keep things under control until everything settles in. The skimmer is pulling a lot out of the water and has to be emptied every other day or so.

My intentions this time around is to fill the tank with exotic and interesting SPS as well as Zoas. I don't plan on putting normal run-of-the-mill corals in this tank. I want corals that don't grow super fast and have interesting structure as well as popping color.

The last time I had this tank up it grew in in about a year and I was bored with it quickly. I want to watch things progress with lots of interest this time around.

I will post some pics from the original build as well as what the system looks like right now.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

It's good to be back!

Ziggy

You know I'm here! Super excited to watch this tank put mine to shame :p!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You know I'm here! Super excited to watch this tank put mine to shame :p!!!

LOL I don't know that I will be putting anything to shame with this tank. Just going to do things differently this time around.

LOL I don't know that I will be putting anything to shame with this tank. Just going to do things differently this time around.

I'm sure the result will be a gorgeous reef tank lol. I'm excited to come check it out even if isn't stocked full of sps :)

So I decided to post a pic of what the tank looked like before I took it down and a pic of what it looks like now after setting it back up.

Here are a few pics of the current setup above and below:

It is going to be a work in progress. I'm not going to throw a bunch of coral in this system really quick. I'm going to be very selective of what I put in the tank this time around.

A couple shots of the coral that remains in the system. What I didn't or couldn't sell...

The Frogspawn and Blasto will stay no matter what. The Trumpet is up for grabs if anyone is in my area.

Tank params are in pretty good shape. I'm still seeing higher nitrates than I would like. I'll make up some SW for a PWC this weekend. I may have to stick to the original plan of doing PWCs weekly until the tank is completely balanced again. Not that big a deal for me really.

I think next weekend I may pick up a frag or two if I can find something interesting and local.

Nice man! Here's to hoping you can get the trates down before next weekend

The tank is looking good. I decided not to do a PWC this week. I want to see how the skimmer and fuge manage nutrient/DOC export over a couple week period. About mid week I will start mixing up new SW for a change either Thursday or Friday. I'm planning on taking those two days off to dedicate to tank maintenance. I have to get a new C02 tank for the FW tank as well as setup my dosing system for ferts.

I'm having to empty the skimmer cup every day. It's not full of liquid but full of sludge and foam. I have the skimmer running pretty dry right now. If I let it go much wetter I'll end up with water overflowing in the skimmer cup. Eventually I'll be able to adjust and fine tune it. It seems to be doing a pretty good job so far.

The fuge is loaded with pods. I had the big ball of cheato in the biocube with the fish and evidently there were a lot of pods still alive in there. The fuge is full of them! That is a very good sign.

That's about all for now.

Update:

Tank is doing well though I am seeing the hints of some algae. I'm sure this is from the gunk that remained on the rock. I'm blasting the heck out of the rock and clean it as much as I can to get all that stuff loose and into the skimmer. So far so good.

I'm going to do another large PWC in the next couple of days. RODI is working overtime to make water right now.

I cleaned the skimmer and the media reactor. Fresh media and a clean skimmer may help to pull more of this crap out of the water.

I've also dialed back my lighting. I'm only running the whites at 80% and the blue at 95%.

I knew this was going to be a challenge....

Looked good before! Cant wait until you start adding some coral to the baby again! Following...

that blasto makes me drool.. the old tank makes me drool.. alot of what your doing reef wise is making me drool it seems.

following cant wait to see some progression

Looked good before! Cant wait until you start adding some coral to the baby again! Following...

Thanks Paul!

I'm hoping to run out to the LFS today and pick up a few things. I added 13 snails yesterday and will probably add a few more.

Back
Top Bottom