Ziggy's Ridiculous 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I unpacked something last night. I figure it is time to put the big gun on this tank. I want to be able to turn on and off the CO2 at the appropriate times. The manual method isnt going to cut it for me during the week.

po117oDej

Well, while you’re at it, go for some red plants. I’ve seen spectacular ones. I got ripped off IMO on this API product called CO2 Booster. It claimed to replace CO2 infusion. All my red plants melted. The algae hated it & died a miserable death, however.

You better hope the API Royal Monarch doesn’t see your post, Colin.

https://apifishcare.com/product/co2-booster

LOL, let them come :)

I had a disagreement with Seachem over a few of their products because of false/ misleading advertising. As for API, the following link is from their website and is a product safety sheet for the liquid CO2. If companies are going to sell poison and say it's good for you, I'm going to call them out.

https://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/co2-booster/co2-booster-safety-data-sheets.pdf

:agree:Kudos to Colin!!

The Big Lie that bothers me the most are by API’s Quick Start: Add fish instantly! Every tank kit I’ve seen comes with the same product by their own manufacturers that seem to say the addition of this bottled nitrifying bacteria instantly cycles the tank. Not been my experience. They also claim it rapidly reduces ammonia & nitrate levels. Didn’t work for me. It took me 18 days with Dr. Tim’s ammonia & bottled bacteria to cycle a small tank.

LOL, let them come [emoji4]

I had a disagreement with Seachem over a few of their products because of false/ misleading advertising. As for API, the following link is from their website and is a product safety sheet for the liquid CO2. If companies are going to sell poison and say it's good for you, I'm going to call them out.

https://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/co2-booster/co2-booster-safety-data-sheets.pdf

The substance is probably glutaradehyde. It’s a disinfectant used on medical instruments. Or was.

Below is a copy of the material safety data sheet for api tap water conditioner.

https://www.apifishcare.com/pdfs/pr...r/tap-water-conditioner-safety-data-sheet.pdf

Notice H400 under Hazard Statements ‘very toxic to aquatic life’

It also can cause respiratory issues like your co2 booster.

So again, is this a poison or not? Why would you add a substance to your tanks that is known to be very toxic to aquatic life?

Do we need to call API out over this too?

You see how we go after the things we believe to be toxic but ignore toxic chemicals that we deem to be necessary. They’re all snake oils at the end of the day.

Last edited:
It’s all very ironic. The conditioner according to the MSDS attached (might not be the current version) was fed to rabbits and rats until 50% of the test specimens died and they could obtain a lethal dose value. It was also applied to the skin of these rabbits until 50% of the test specimens perished.

Then we buy this substance to protect our fish from chlorine even though it tells you it’s harmful to aquatic life? You can’t make it up [emoji23].

Wouldn’t it be better to just not use tap water or if you’re fortunate enough to have a water company that uses chlorine, just aerate it for 24 hours so it gases out? You can also collect rainwater or use RO water and remineralise as you see fit.

The whole reason that Justin at Ocean aquarium stopped doing water changes was because San Francisco decided to start uses chloramines instead of chlorine.

Ziggy. Apologies for putting the tone of your thread down and deviating from it’s intention. I’m just addressing the co2 booster discussion and will digress no further.

Looking forward to more updates.

So it has been a bit since my last update but in my defense I have not been around to make one.

The tank has gone a little crazy (hair algae) CO2 related issues. I have sorted those out and will spend the next couple of weeks dialing things back in. I was out of town on business trips off and on and was ill over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Anyway, aside from the algae that I mentioned the plants are growing although not very happy at the moment. I have reduced photo period and have the CO2 back online.

More to come I'm sure!

Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks for the update, Ziggy. That system of yours looks so high tech compared to mine, I thought it was orbiting the moon by now. I have every confidence you’ll resolve the minor issues.(y)

The early stages of any new tank are always pretty volatile in terms of algae. Even worse in a high tech tank. I expect things to get a lot worse before they get better. Hopefully you can keep things under control but don’t be frustrated if not. Algae is an inevitable part of a new tank.

Good luck and enjoy the Christmas holidays

The early stages of any new tank are always pretty volatile in terms of algae. Even worse in a high tech tank. I expect things to get a lot worse before they get better. Hopefully you can keep things under control but don’t be frustrated if not. Algae is an inevitable part of a new tank.

Good luck and enjoy the Christmas holidays

Yep, I have been through this more than once setting up tanks over the last 30 years. This one got out of hand because I was not around to deal with it as it was happening. Not a big deal. I have managed through worse and since I have yet to stock the tank with fish or shrimp I'm not too worried.

A quick update... Happy New Year!

Nothing to crazy to report. Still only have snails in the tank, oh well that and the copepods that have recently bloomed. YAY!

Been crazy busy with work, Holidays and sick so haven't done much of anything.

Couple pics

pnPqIMVoj

poPz9UK0j

Oh and on a side note...my other obsession:
pmHZWc3ej

Do you know what the PAR is on the light? Is it dimmable?

Happy new year!

I do not know what the par is on the light. This is the EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 FW. I have not read all the white paper on it. I can tell you that I have it on a daylight ramp and at max point it is only at 40% intensity. It is very adjustable to the the point I can customize every channel and there are 48 LEDs that I can fine tune based on color temp. It is way more sophisticated than needed for a 10g but like the thread says...Ziggy's Ridiculous 10.

Pretty cool light with tons or features and options.

Tank is progressing nicely. Algae is still an issue but that is totally my fault. Working that out.

Nothing too exciting to report, headed to the LFS to hopefully pick up a few shrimp.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Howdy everyone! Been busy so far this year and haven't had much time to do anything other than maintain. I did recently setup a RODI system for the tank and house plants. (yes using RO only for the fish tank) The water where I am is hard and the amount of mineral deposits are ridiculous I have to descale things all the time its rather annoying.

Anyway the tank is starting to settle down. The shrimp are enjoying the algae. I have reduced the lighting a bit, continue to inject CO2. Things are starting to make the turn.

Anyway here are a couple pics from today after a water change.

pmSMjImpj

pmq9Hh7wj

Back
Top Bottom