Zoa Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhart608

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a small frag rock of some beautiful GSP I put in my 10 gallon recently and have discovered that the purple mat is surrounding a small zoa polyp that I would like to save.

Can I just cut the zoa at the base and glue it to a plug? I don't want to get any of the GSP mat or will probably have the same problem of it getting overtaken down the road. Will the zoa survive or get choked out? I'm guessing it won't be able to multiply being surrounded by the GSP mat.

I really haven't fragged anything myself yet as I am fairly new to reefing so suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

use a razor blade to remove the zoa cut as low as you can glue it to a rock or plug and target feed, it will grow like a weed Good luck

I would remove the GSP from the zoas mat. GSP is really easy to frag, just find a place you can get your finger under it and pull it back like carpet, the mat should stay fairly intact. Worst comes to worse you damage the overgrown part, it will come back in a week. :)

Well, I finally cut out the two zoa polyps out of the GSP mat today. Was able to pull up a bit of the mat with one polyp, the other wasn't surrounded yet so I tried cutting a bit of the rock out from underneath the polyp but ended up cutting it off right at the bottom the the stem

Superglued both to an old snail shell and put it on the bottom in a lower flow area.

We shall see how they fare. At least I tried to save them I guess. The GSP is mad at me though, won't reopen yet.

Will post pics if there's anything to post.

Back
Top Bottom