Zoas - do they eat or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
So was at my LFS tonight (the one I go to because their prices and stock are great, but advice spotty) and they had a tank full of zoanthid colonys for 35 bucks - at that price, couldn't resist (probably 40 polyps I would guess). As I was checking out, the guy mentioned that I should be feeding them zooplankton. Now everything I've read is telling me these guys will be just fine with light, since they're photosynthetic...

So which is right?

Both actually. They shouldn't NEED added food, but they will take some. Consider it a very occasional treat if anything.

Both actually. They shouldn't NEED added food, but they will take some. Consider it a very occasional treat if anything.

So you'd say the 3 - 4 time a week recommendation is a bit overkill?

Just a tad. lol

They're fine without IME.

Cool - he actually told me that I should be target feeding them - I kinda figured he might have bene going overboard.

To their credit however, and the reason that I'll still shop there sometimes - its probably closer to 150 polyps than to 50 (I'm a terrible guesstimator - will post a pic later when they're in and open).

I'm fortunate I guess - I have 2 LFS within 5 miles of me. One of them gives FANTASTIC advice and is happy to talk shop...but his stock (especially lately) is very limited, and his prices on corals are quite high (this chunk would have been 60 bucks at his place, easily)...the other shop has great prices and huge stock lists, but I really don't trust a single thing they tell me or anyone else.

This, obviously, wasn't a huge lie or anything - but I've seen them push inappropriate fish for situations (i.e. a copper banded to a newbie to the hobby with a 14 gallon tank). Needless to say, I don't shop there often unless the first place is REALLY hurting for stock, which they have been the last couple months.

I love feeding my zoas mysis shrimp. You should try it, it will help them grow but it really isn't necessary.

I can't imagine trying to do that for an entire colony. I once for giggles tried to feed my palythoas which are substantially larger than these guys - it was virtually impossible (though I think I did succeed in pissing them off).

Hey, as long as you know what to expect and look out for at each it's a nice "problem" having two close by.

bighabeeb said:
I can't imagine trying to do that for an entire colony. I once for giggles tried to feed my palythoas which are substantially larger than these guys - it was virtually impossible (though I think I did succeed in pissing them off).

I used a pipette from my refractometer and it worked okay. I sure didn't try to feed them all though, that would make me even more insane.

Hey, as long as you know what to expect and look out for at each it's a nice "problem" having two close by.

You bet. This weekend I'm investigating a couple others that are a bit further away (instead of 10 minutes, closer to 40). If nothing else my 9 year old loves walking around new shops, seeing what he remembers, asking for names of fish etc. Actually caught him giving someone fish advice at one of the shops last weekend - I was impressed. Guess he listens even when I dont think he is (in this case, he was telling someone that a coral beauty might nip at corals...I was so proud)

Back
Top Bottom