Best and Worst LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a place to give your LFS reviews for Michigan and Wisconsin. Help steer people in the right direction for local goods!

Here's my experience:

In Marquette, MI:

Pet Stop - They can special order items on Wednesdays (arrive Thursdays) but the list is fairly limited and pricing is mediocre. I don't buy a lot out of their tanks except inverts because I've seen their float and dump acclimation procedures.

Bubbles and Beaks - Been there, I don't go back. FW only, and not looking healthy. They know more about beaks than bubbles there.

In Escanaba MI-

Pet Place - It's ok for a small town pet store, but I don't bother with them. Their selection of SW is very limited, but their FW seemed ok. I've only been one time.

In Green Bay, WI-

Aquatic Imports - Just moved into the larger building behind their old store on Clay St and I love this place. I make a 3 hour drive to shop here! I've had great luck with everything I've bought from them, and their prices are reasonable. He gives me styrafoam shipping boxes every time because I have to drive back 3 hours (it's easier than keeping them stocked at my place) and has included freebies in the past (food, etc.). He knows his fish.

Advanced Aquarium Systems - Hit and miss. I've been in there and had a hard time deciding what to buy, and been in there and been disappointed. The stuff I did buy in there is very good. Prices are fair. HUGE selection of FW stuff, and I mean HUGE! Owners a nice guy...worth a stop.

Hope this Helps!

Wow Bearfan, 3 hours to get to Green Bay! I thought I had it bad :wink:
Anyways, I completely agree with your reviews of both Aquatic Imports, and Advance Aquarium Systems.

Aquatic Imports: I haven't bought anything from their yet, only because until just a few days ago, I didn't even know they existed. Their new store is quite hidden behind some local pubs. I also thought that they dealt with only Saltwater, but to my surprise they have an amazing stock of FW. They even carry Discus! Absolutely beautiful tanks in their!

Advance Aquarium System: Also a nice store. Right in the heart of Downtown Green Bay. Very knowlegable staff and yes, a HUGE selection of FW fish.

Animal Adventure: This is the LFS that I shop at all the time. Their staff is extremely friendly and helpful. For some reason, this store is not as intimidating as the other two. Great selection of FW and some SW fish. In the past, they allowed me return fish for store credit. Also very conveniently located on Onieda St., just south of Hwy 172.

Ahh, to be only three hours away from Green Bay... ! :D (it's about 4-5 hours for me)

In Painsdale, MI:

Superior Aquatics: They have FW and SW fish. I'm fairly new to the hobby, and this is the only place around, so when I say they have a fairly decent selection take it with a grain of salt, because I don't really have much to compare it to. They have a very small selection of FW plants, but were very willing to order some extras in for me. They are also willing to order fish, but I have yet to take them up on this. I would not recommend buying equipment from them, because I have had two bad experiences with broken/missing parts.

I will have to check out the Green Bay locations next time I am up there. I think I drove by the one downtown before. Problem is it would also be a 3+ hour trip home if I was leaving right form there and heading straight back.

Made it to Grenbay today and stopped by Aquatic imports. Very cool. I will need to plan my schedule so I am going staight home form Grenbay next time. Excellent selection of corals which I am just getting started with. He was more than willing to talk and answer questions even though he new I was not buying today. 8)

I would like to add two of my favorite stores in Saginaw Michigan. PM me if you are in the area and want addresses or directions.

Aquatic Gardens
Pet Paradise

Here are a couple more stores that sell fish in the surrounding area if you like to look.

Soldans
Petsmart
Scales and Tails

The worst store to buy anything from is Ocean Odyssey.

Great store in Lansing, MI

Hi, and thanks for letting me post here, Bearfan . . .

Just wanted to put my two cents worth in for one of the finest stores I've seen . . . If any of you get in the area, try to check out Preuss Animal House. In addition to having an impressive store (which they are getting ready to move to an even larger location) and a plentiful and knowledgable staff, they also take care of the tanks at the local zoo. Having that kind of backing gets my attention, so check it out if you get a chance.

Also, if you don't mind Rondory, I'm going to steal a piece from a note you left me in another thread and stick it in here . . .just cause it fits :D

If anyone is interested in a parrot/reptile/snake/frog this place has a ton of that also. Not much dog/cat stuff

Lansing is about an hour south of me, but I'm always on the look-out for a nice fish store just to look around.

If you are interested in a fish store road trip there are several fish stores between Lansing and Saginaw.

(Saginaw)
Pet Paradise
Aquatic Gardens
Scales and tails

(Birch Run)
Rift lake

(Caro)
Something fishy

Hope you all find this useful!

Eric

In Appleton, WI:

Just Pets - Good store, but cramped. Staff is helpful, but I only deal with Steve (he knows his stuff). They have a good selection of fish, but not much else. They are willing to order any equipment you need, but don't carry it in stock.

Pet Solutions (located within Pet Supplies Plus) - the staff is completely unknowledgeable (aside from the owner), but their tanks are clean, they do use qt and hospital tanks for new arrivals, and their prices are good. All the fish look quite healthy as well. There is no equipment for sale, however, they are inside a PSP so...

The best LFS I have come across in my area is Wet Thumb Aquatics in New Baltimore they have been breeding their own stock for fifty years, and have a large selection of African stock and a few from South America for the cichlid lover along with some other oddballs.

Wisconsin...

The Fish Factory - This place has been around for some time. located on 92nd and oklahoma.

The Good:
The Staff was very friendly, helpful, eager to help, and knowledgeable.
This is were I ended up buying all my equipment.
They have a flip a coin thursday where u get 15% off your fish purchase. Flip a coin and call it right and save an additional 15% off.
48 hr guarantee on saltwater fish. w/ 50% replacement.
Huge selection of freshwater fish.
Tanks clean

The downside. (its not ness. a bad thing)
Limited saltwater fish selection. They go quick
Pricey. - Small family run place and they dont have the buying power of your large corporate places like pet co.

Aquatics Unlimited: Hyw 100.

Large selection of both freshwater and saltwater fish.
Pond supplys
Prices seem about average.
Staff - depends. I've talked to some that were very helpful and others that seemed like i was bothering them.
Clean tanks

Petco - Racine Hwy 11

Staff - willing to help but limited knowledge. Didnt know what a green chromis was, just reconized as a Misc Damsel.
LOW prices. Tank breed clowns for $16, Green Chromis for $4 good deal IMO.
Tanks clean
Limited selection of saltwater fish

Pet Warehouse - 27th grange

Staff willing to help and friendly, but limited knowledge depending who you are talking with.
lots of freshwater fish
decent amount of saltwater fish
Liverock average price but looked really good.
Prices vary. some seemed like a good deal while others were high.
clean store and tanks.
Large selection of corals.

Back
Top Bottom