Where from in Michigan/Wisconsin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another one from Milwaukee (right by the airport). I hadn't heard of Best Fish, but I'll have to try to make my way down there.

Personally, I won't go to Aquatics Unlimited. I've been in there twice over the years, and while I always hear okay things about the fish, the stuff sucks. Both times I was there, there was about 5 people working and acting like they were going out of there way not to help the customers. They were all huddled behind the counter with their backs to the customers.
A few days ago I was talking to a co-worker and I said "Have you ever been to Aquatics Unlimited?" and his reply was "Yeah, but you practically have to go and tap someone on the shoulder if you need help with anything", so I know it's not me.

And looking on Yelp, it seems I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The funny thing was, while I was there, a (what I assume) manager was talking to a bunch of the employees about ignoring a voicemail on the phone system for two weeks and telling them that it could have been a customer with a question. I wanted to walk up to the counter and tell him that they've been ignoring 3 actual customers in the store for the last twenty minutes. Instead, I compared glass tops they had in the showroom to Amazon and Petco on my phone and then walked out. If they don't want my money, I'm happy to not give it to them.
The funny thing is, if someone had just said "Hi, can I help you with something", I would have told them what I wanted, they could have handed it to me and I would have bought it since I wouldn't have had time to compare it to the other stores while I was sitting there thinking that someone might come and help me.

I was going to email them about this afterwards, but after seeing the Yelp reviews and finding out that this has been going on for years, I figure there's either a reason for it or they just don't care, but either way, the owner must know that the staff doesn't help the customers and one email isn't going to change anything. OTOH, maybe he wants to know that he lost a $70 sale....and that I'll likely never set foot in his store again.

PS, and that I'll write a crappy review about his store on a popular message board.

Another one from Milwaukee (right by the airport). I hadn't heard of Best Fish, but I'll have to try to make my way down there.

Personally, I won't go to Aquatics Unlimited. I've been in there twice over the years, and while I always hear okay things about the fish, the stuff sucks. Both times I was there, there was about 5 people working and acting like they were going out of there way not to help the customers. They were all huddled behind the counter with their backs to the customers.
A few days ago I was talking to a co-worker and I said "Have you ever been to Aquatics Unlimited?" and his reply was "Yeah, but you practically have to go and tap someone on the shoulder if you need help with anything", so I know it's not me.

And looking on Yelp, it seems I'm not the only one who feels this way.

The funny thing was, while I was there, a (what I assume) manager was talking to a bunch of the employees about ignoring a voicemail on the phone system for two weeks and telling them that it could have been a customer with a question. I wanted to walk up to the counter and tell him that they've been ignoring 3 actual customers in the store for the last twenty minutes. Instead, I compared glass tops they had in the showroom to Amazon and Petco on my phone and then walked out. If they don't want my money, I'm happy to not give it to them.
The funny thing is, if someone had just said "Hi, can I help you with something", I would have told them what I wanted, they could have handed it to me and I would have bought it since I wouldn't have had time to compare it to the other stores while I was sitting there thinking that someone might come and help me.

I was going to email them about this afterwards, but after seeing the Yelp reviews and finding out that this has been going on for years, I figure there's either a reason for it or they just don't care, but either way, the owner must know that the staff doesn't help the customers and one email isn't going to change anything. OTOH, maybe he wants to know that he lost a $70 sale....and that I'll likely never set foot in his store again.

PS, and that I'll write a crappy review about his store on a popular message board.

Yea I've had a few experiences like that but usually it isn't that bad. Worst part is that they are overpriced on just about everything they sell. Best fish on mlk by the Bradley center is great, Brian the owner is awesome and really knows his stuff. Prices are decent but the freshwater selection isn't always great. I feel they are geared more towards the marine side of it. Although I have seen some pretty rare freshwater fish there before. They actually had some goliath tigerfish there. Little baby ones.

Wish i could find some aquarium people in ec.maybe some breeders or something

I don't know much about Eau Claire, but you're only like an hour and a half from the twin cities, you might have better luck over there.

Allegan Mi. Please list any known fish shops in southwest mich. Frequent visitor at VI pets already. Thank you

Well I bet grandville is too far for you, but they have an awesome shop called Blue Fish Aquarium!

Well I bet grandville is too far for you, but they have an awesome shop called Blue Fish Aquarium!

Granville is only 35 minutes. Never heard of blue fish. Do they have a good exotics or just common fish. Also are they reasonably priced.

Are you hoping for freshwater or salt? IMO they are reasonably priced, they have good fish, and if they don't have a fish you want, they can usually get it for you. The staff is all very knowledgable, friendly, and fun to talk to!
I'd check it out! Its an awesome store, and its the only place I ever buy fish!

Are you hoping for freshwater or salt? IMO they are reasonably priced, they have good fish, and if they don't have a fish you want, they can usually get it for you. The staff is all very knowledgable, friendly, and fun to talk to!
I'd check it out! Its an awesome store, and its the only place I ever buy fish!
I have freshwater only but it's always hard to resist a new LFS. Just hopefully I don't talk myself into another tank.

Back
Top Bottom