1 tetra, 30gal, what can i add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, hope you all ok.

I have a 30 gal tank with 1 tetra and 1 dwarf gourami, i was wondering what to stock it up with, i was thinking of adding around 15 fancy guppies, but i dont now much about them as far as i now you need, more females than males, but how can you tell the difference? im looking for small nice, colorful fish.

Any suggestions or ideas to stock it up with would be great :)

Thanks

Andy

You can do guppies if you wish, Try a 3 to 1 ratio of females to males and be prepared for lots of babies, You could do platies or swordtail as well if you like livebearers. The males have a pointy anal fin the females have a pair of anal fins.

You could alos get 5-8 more of the samekind of tetra you already have to fill out the school. What kind of tetra is it?

You can get cory cats for the bottom or a small pleco.

Another possibility is a small school of one of the smaller rainbow fish types or a trio or pair of dwarf cichlids. You have a lot of options. Do some research and post back here. We love to help folks stock their tanks.

Well to start of rainbow fish and chichlids as much as i like them, my lfs dont sell them so i think there out the option lol, as for tetra i have 1 cardinal tetra, i had 20 but they died from either NTD or something else, anyway that tank is healthy again, so i think il go with your suggestion of getting 5-8 more, Ermmmm as for fancy guppies, i love the look of them, is it ok do get a 6-2 ratio?? you said that i will have lots of babies, ermm i dont now anything about breeding, if they do breed wont the dwarf gourami eat them? i dont have another tank for them, i need to do my research about breeding, but some general info would be cool, back to tetra's are there other small fish like them, keeping in mind common fish, my lfs is not huge lol.

Thanks for your help rich i look forward to your idea's and info :)

6-2 will be fine. Don't need to do much. They will have babies, they and the tetras and gouramis will eat them. If you have enough cover some will survive.

You could easily do a dozen cardinals in that tank. Other options are serpaes, lemons, neons, red eyes, rummy noses, emperors, and dozens more I can't think of right now.

Other options include rosy barbs, harlequin rasboras, danios, for the bottom smaller loaches like kuhlies.

You could also consider a pair on angels.

Thanks for ideas rich il do my research and i'll let you know what i chose :) as for angels i already have 2 im my 50 gal tank lol, so im going for a peaceful 30 gal tank, :) take care rich

Hi all is it ok to just a have female fancy guppies in a tank without a male? and some tetra's?

Its fine to have just females, but they aren't as pretty as males. A problem you may have is that the females may already be pregnant at the LFS so you could end up with babies anyways.

Ehh, horny little fish, oh well thanks for the info justonemore20, If it looks like im going to babies anyway, may as well get 2 males :) Thanks

Well i got 6 female fancy guppies 2 male fancy guppies, 1 not looking so good, 4 tetra's and a random glass fish? i dont think he sore it when getting me the fish, and i only just found it, they are strange, thanks rich311k for your advice and helping me make my mind up, the 1 lonely tetra i had is a lot happier now :)

Back
Top Bottom