10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azure Lord

Aquarium Advice Freak
10 gallon, glofish tetra x6

All they do is nip and fight which allways ends in a standoff

What am i doing wrong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but the tank is too small for them. Cramped quarters can greatly influence fish behavior.

I believe some one already answered this for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just trying to get other peoples opinions

a couple background plants and two coral decorations. They fight for there little areas and then stay there all day everyday

Attachments

• 1417380109798.jpg
    1417380109798.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
In this pic you see them....in their territories. They dont move unless its feeding time

In addition to the small tank, I imagine that the lighting is not helping either. Fish want to live in natural conditions, not Studio 54.

Yes, fresh - sometimes moving around or adding decor can help with territorial issues so I was just curious to see what the OP had in there.

Also, I don't know the answer to this, are all glo tetras the same species?

Ok. Rehoming them to something larger aside (unless that is an option), my only other thoughts are:
1. Try moving decor around to allow for more "territories" so they can reestablish who goes where, preferably in such a way that they can't see each other as well
2. How much are you feeding? I've heard of some aggression issues when fish aren't getting adequate food so they try to eliminate some competition.
Otherwise I'm not really sure. I've kept black phantoms, black neons, and gold pristellas (8 of the latter in a 10 gal temporarily) and have not had a problem so by no means am I an authority on the subject.
I also have no experience with glo fish in general so I don't know if there are any temperament differences or affects of the different light spectrum.
I'm a little confused since they are same species I wonder why they're behaving that way-unless it is a sex ratio influence as another poster mentioned.
Let us know what you try and if it helps!

Ive been doing reading and have come to understand that unless theres a threat, they pretty much keep to themselves.

Any opinions on this?

Breaking up direct lines of sight is often very useful to tone down aggression between fish. Frequently suggested for fish where males tend to spar or fight over females and for some fish, virtually essential for them to feel secure.

Well they do more or less keep to themselves....but that was also my initial concern-That they weren't being sociable.

Breaking up sight lines allows the fish to spend a lot more time out and about.. because they won't always see the other fish when they do. If there isn't a lot of stuff to break sight lines.. it's hard for them to 'not see' each other, and you get fish spending most of their time in one small area.

In addition to the small tank, I imagine that the lighting is not helping either. Fish want to live in natural conditions, not Studio 54.

That could be white balance settings on camera. If on auto, the camera could get confused with the ceiling bulb and tank light and would compensate for the majority, that is further influenced by the metering matrix setting.

(Looks quite blue though) a lot like 16,000k

If the camera decides on incandescent (normal type ceiling bulb) it will tint blue making the white light of the tank look very blue.

A quite dispersed formation among shoaling fish is a good thing, it means they are settled and normally only coming together at feeding.
Fin nipping, could be deciding pecking order or it could be hunger or it could be some of what has already been said regarding sex/numbers and square footage.

They are getting along ok now...
Much better actually

Back
Top Bottom