10 gallon redo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hiya!! I was walkin along the best LFS near me, and i saw 2 amazing fish!! Scarlett Badis and "heavenly fish adorned with pearls" (which is the translation of the scientific name of the CPD/Galaxy Rasbora). I prefer the translation :) I also saw some Endlers, which i liked.

Would a group of either 5 CPD or 5 Endlers work with a single Dario Dario (Scarlett Badis) in the old 10 gal? It has proper filtration an such...

The only problem is, it should be planted shouldn't it... And I'm terrible with plants.

Any of these work in a tank that had rock structures for hiding places instead of plants? I would add in a bunch of Java Moss as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Hiya!! I was walkin along the best LFS near me, and i saw 2 amazing fish!! Scarlett Badis and "heavenly fish adorned with pearls" (which is the translation of the scientific name of the CPD/Galaxy Rasbora). I prefer the translation :) I also saw some Endlers, which i liked.

Would a group of either 5 CPD or 5 Endlers work with a single Dario Dario (Scarlett Badis) in the old 10 gal? It has proper filtration an such...

The only problem is, it should be planted shouldn't it... And I'm terrible with plants.

Any of these work in a tank that had rock structures for hiding places instead of plants? I would add in a bunch of Java Moss as well.

I personally would go for the CPDs and Scarlett. Just because I think it would be cooler to watch. Plants aren't as hard as some people make it out to be. Do you know what kind of lighting you have/will have on this 10 gallon? You could do simple low tech plants like java fern, java moss, Certain Anubias and maybe even crypts. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help you when it comes to planting this 10g.

In such a small group, the CPDs will most likely hide a lot.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

A 10g is fine for any of those fish. Badis tend to be shy though and it's often difficult to get them to accept anything but live food. With more than 1 male in a tank it's a good idea to have plants, caves, etc to help them establish territories.

I know some people who have CPDs that also act shy, I didn't have that experience. If you decide on them I'd definitely suggest as large a group as possible.

Male Endlers are colorful and active, very nice fish!

I get that these are shy fish, which is why I'm trying to keep them in a tank for themselves without other boisterous fish involved. I might just trade in my Angel and Rams for a Badis and a few CPD and then buy the rest, those are all expensive fish around here. Which is why i couldn't do a large group.

That's understandable. The CPDs are schoolers though so try to get as many as you can!

Yep yep. Although with the Betta project, and the fact that i want to upgrade my Leopard Gecko enclosure (2 adults in a 20 long is a bit cramped, buying a 29 so i can add a second floor), I'm running out of cash. i would have a bit more to spend but I've had to do things besides my pets so my budget has fallen.

I personally would go for the CPDs and Scarlett. Just because I think it would be cooler to watch. Plants aren't as hard as some people make it out to be. Do you know what kind of lighting you have/will have on this 10 gallon? You could do simple low tech plants like java fern, java moss, Certain Anubias and maybe even crypts. If you have any questions, I'm happy to help you when it comes to planting this 10g.

+1 to plants listed, most Java ferns and Anubis will grow under low light( Anubis even stock lights sometimes). If unable to grow any of the low light plants you could even go with fake plants the fish will not know the difference the idea is provide an environment that looks like their native home.

But if do go for live plants there are several light options for 10 gallon tanks that won't break the bank and provide low to medium light.

Most clip on lights being an example.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not familiar with the term "stock light" or "clip on light"

Ive never done planted, so as of now i still just have "lights" hehe.

Not familiar with the term "stock light" or "clip on light"

Ive never done planted, so as of now i still just have "lights" hehe.

Lol no problem stock lights are usually what base lights aqueon, top fin, marineland, etc put in their hoods.

Clip on lights are lights that hang over the tank attached via a wingnut screw or clamp on to the back of the tank.

Search ebay for refugium or planted led lights. The macro algae used in salt water sumps has about the same requirements as most low/medium freshwater plants.

example

http://m.ebay.com/itm/CF-Quad-Clip-...efugium-Sump-Odyssea-/111342850266?nav=SEARCH

Since you also raise herps you may have extra dome lights hanging around. Hang one over your tank and use a 6500k compact fluorescent in it. 12usd and you have a plant light.

I keep crested geckos this is the setup I use for my salt water macro algae.

Ps can message me if ever want to swap gecko stories and pics lol.

Back
Top Bottom