10 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettababy29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 10 gallon tank I have 1 male betta, two female bettas, 3 ghost shrimp, and one snail.
Would it be okay to add cichlids or neon fish in there with bettas or would I need a whole different tank?

I think adding anything else would overstock your tank...
And cichlids need a large tank and are generally very aggressive fish, I don't think even one would work in your tank.

Why is the male housed with the females? Will probably lead to aggression/mating where one of the females will be killed.

I don't think you should add anything else in there. If they are all getting along, adding more fish could easily upset the balance.
How long have you had them all in there? Its not recommended to keep male and female bettas together long term, and keeping multiple females seems to often work better in larger tanks.
Bettas are individuals and sometimes they work out together in ways we don't expect, but its still not usually a good idea.
Even if you only had 1 betta in your tank, all the small cichlids I know of wouldn't work out in a 10g tank with a betta tankmate. Neons could be an option with a single betta IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
I don't think you should add anything else in there. If they are all getting along, adding more fish could easily upset the balance.
How long have you had them all in there? Its not recommended to keep male and female bettas together long term, and keeping multiple females seems to often work better in larger tanks.
Bettas are individuals and sometimes they work out together in ways we don't expect, but its still not usually a good idea.
Even if you only had 1 betta in your tank, all the small cichlids I know of wouldn't work out in a 10g tank with a betta tankmate. Neons could be an option with a single betta IMO.

I agree didn't think about that but your right you shouldn't add anything if they are working right now.

Bettas are pretty hit-or-miss with shrimp. Some do fine with them, some don't. Nerite snails usually work well in betta tanks because the nerites don't come too far out of their shells so even aggressive bettas can't really get to them.

This is probably worse than overstocking...you need to separate those bettas. You cannot keep males and females together indefinitely. Anytime I've ever put them together resulted in a bubble nest, then the male bullies the eggs out, and will kill her unless she is removed...even then sometimes she won't live. This is a BAD idea even if it's working for you now. I would take the females back. You should get a school of tetra or something else. Endlers would be good, they are smaller than guppies so the betta shouldn't confuse them and be aggressive like he might with larger guppies.

Back
Top Bottom