10 gallon tank stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SomeWeirdGuy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have been looking into starting a tank (total beginner and so i only know what i have been able to find on the internet in the last 3-4 weeks on starting a tank) and frankly I don't really know what I can put into my tank. I am at college and am technically only allowed to have a 10 gallon, so basically my questions are, would it be more advisable to wait till I move out of the dorms so I dont have to move the fish every 4 or so months (I want what is best for the fish, i have no desire to mess up their lives) and if it wouldnt be too bad for the fish what are some good choices for a 10 gallon tank? I have been looking at Sparkling Gouramis and Endlers livebearers and maybe a cory, but again I dont have any experience so i dont know how many of each would be good for a 10 gallon tank or if those types of fish can be in the same tank of that size. Any help/suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

Might be a good idea to wait as moving fish is one heck of an endeavor. That said I have friends who live in dorms and make it work. You'll need to choose sturdy hardy fish for that.

Endlers, guppies, platys, kuhli loaches, pygmy corydoras, and glowlight tetras are all hardy fish and good for a begginer who might move around alot. Your best bet would be 2 groups of 5 fish- choose two of the above species. The exception is platys (stick with 3).

Might be a good idea to wait as moving fish is one heck of an endeavor. That said I have friends who live in dorms and make it work. You'll need to choose sturdy hardy fish for that.

Endlers, guppies, platys, kuhli loaches, pygmy corydoras, and glowlight tetras are all hardy fish and good for a begginer who might move around alot. Your best bet would be 2 groups of 5 fish- choose two of the above species. The exception is platys (stick with 3).

Would gender play a role role with any of those species?

Since females can come already pregnant from the petstore and will continue to have babies for a while I would do all males for any live bearers. Alison

Back
Top Bottom