10 Gallon to 75 Transition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boboepie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I have a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium and I have had it for a year. I have had mollies, guppies, tetras, and platys. I am planning on moving to a 50-75 gallon freshwater tank. I thought of first getting used to the tank using my regular guppies mollies tetras and platys to get used to the way that a larger tank runs and then slowly move up to larger and more complicated fish. Are there any recommendations about other ways I could do this or if this is even the right idea? also recommendations of some freshwater tropical fish that would work well together. Thanks!

Setup the big tank with its new filter, get the decor right etc, match the water temp to the 10g then take the filter from the 10 and put run it in the big tank, add your fish. Don't touch the filter for at least two weeks, as your keeping the tank from going into a cycle (because your bacteria colony is already at the level for your current stock) and seeding the new filter all at the same time.

But you want to make sure you get everything set up before you add the fish, so then you can just let them settle in immediately and noy have to fiddle with anything and stress them out any more than you have to.

Oh, the fish will get used to a larger tank just fine. :)
Maybe add some plants and group of corys with your Livebearers?

All I can say is they will be happy fish going from a tiny tank to a big one! I totally agree with toad run the old filter with the new set up for at least a couple of weeks till the new one gets established.

Back
Top Bottom