100 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supergummy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I have a 100 gallon tank and need to know what fish to stock it with.
I have 2 penguin 350 b filters both for 75 gallons for filtration.
I'm gong to use sand as substrate.
I have a 500 watt heater to use to.
I haven't decided on lighting yet.

As for the fish, I'm like these fish and would like to have them in my tank.
The tank should be freshwater community.

7 tetras
10 guppies
5 Cory's
5 swordtails
Maybe some hachet fish?
I would like to have some centerpiece fish, remember its a 100 galln tank.

In a 100g, I would probably up the number of tetras and cories. Larger schools of fish look great in bigger tanks, IMO. Having a couple different schools of tetras would be really nice too, I think. They add great colour and movement!

Ok sounds great, still want a selection of fish, how about 10 Cory's 15 tetras?

Those sound like better numbers to me. You could always add some Harlequin Rasboras, too. Lots of people speak fondly of them here because they're great in community tanks and add some movement to the upper levels of the water.

Have you tried using AqAdvisor as a sort of guideline? It's not perfect but it can definitely be helpful for determining stocking levels.

I like to go onto websites where you can purchase freshwater fish just to see what sorts of things are available. If I find something that I like, I'll pop it into AdAdvisor and check compatibility with my current stock. It's a decent way to get started!

Cool! What's your favourite type of community fish?

Any barbs or danios I could do? How about a red tailed shark?

You could definitely do a red tail shark, just make sure that's the only shark you have.

Get a bala shark or two I love mine. Also maybe a black shark I love mine too. Rio barbs look beautiful in schools. And neon tetras. Ah, cherry barbs. Great looking fish. Loved all of mine. Great colors. Peacefull too. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394335870.530103.jpg

Cool! What's your favourite type of community fish?

I can only speak a little bit from experience as I'm just starting out, but I have a big soft spot for tetras. I just got some blushing white skirts and they're lively, entertaining little fish. I'm planning on stocking some Congo tetras eventually, which are beautiful and pack some really nice colours and size. There are just so many varieties and most of them are community-friendly.

I also have an albino bristlenose pleco, which I love. He keeps my glass clean and stops algae from growing on my driftwood. I would definitely keep more if I had a bigger tank.

Get a bala shark or two I love mine. Also maybe a black shark I love mine too. Rio barbs look beautiful in schools. And neon tetras. Ah, cherry barbs. Great looking fish. Loved all of mine. Great colors. Peacefull too. View attachment 226693

Please don't put Bala Sharks in 100G tanks

Get a bala shark or two I love mine. Also maybe a black shark I love mine too. Rio barbs look beautiful in schools. And neon tetras. Ah, cherry barbs. Great looking fish. Loved all of mine. Great colors. Peacefull too. View attachment 226693

No. Your overstocked just with 2 in that tank. They will become stunted and die.

Bala sharks get a foot long and need to be in groups of 5+. If your tank is smaller then 250g then stay away from bala sharks. They are extremely active and need too much space.

No. Your overstocked just with 2 in that tank. They will become stunted and die.

Bala sharks get a foot long and need to be in groups of 5+. If your tank is smaller then 250g then stay away from bala sharks. They are extremely active and need too much space.

I agree 100%

So this is the thread you've been redirecting people to from other topics?

+1 they're one of those species that don't really belong in tanks due to their needs. I'd go with a redtail/rainbow shark instead.

How about this

5 Cory's
10 platys
10 guppies
15 cardinal tetras
5 other tetras
1 red tailed shark
10 swordtails
And a Center piece pair?
Or am I over stocked

Do red tail sharks go worth fish like gouramis or are red tailed sharks centerpiece fish

Back
Top Bottom