Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

10g shrimp tank and possible tank mates

I'm looking for advice on shrimps, how to prepare my tank, food, hardy species for my ph 8.2 -8.4, and if I can have some tank mates ( mostly invertebrates like snails )

Old 01-13-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That pH is high for most shrimp. Cardinal Shrimp are an exception, but they are very expensive and better to look into after you get some experience with keeping them.
Cardinal Shrimp - (6) - Elite Inverts Store

It seems best you would look for local hobbyists with breeding colonies and see if they are breeding them in your local water.

Otherwise you would need to use RODI water and dilute the hardness of your water, or use RODI water and remineralize with a product made for that like Salty Shrimp.

Snails LOVE hard water so you could have some Ramshorn snails. A Mystery Snail would be a possibility. But if a Mystery snail dies in your tank, the amount of ammonia created by the death can kill a smaller tank of shrimp.

Getting a tank set up and running for a couple months and getting it cycled will be a big advantage in starting to grow the microscopic food and biofilm for the little shrimp.

Read through some of the threads about the members shrimp tanks for extra info too!

EDIT: also remember to use a prefilter on the intake of the filter!!!!!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, mate, rim, shrimp, shrimp tank, tan, tank, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com