10g Stocking for Elementary Classroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmobley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife is putting a 10g aquarium in her 2nd grade classroom. Basic filter, light, and heater. Looking for some ideas on stocking options. Fairly easy maintenance as I will be doing most of the cleaning/ water changes.

Thanks!

Hmm....

First! Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle that takes place in an aquarium?

Caleb

Yes. I have an aquarium at home. Just looking for some neat/unique stocking ideas.

Kuhli loaches, guppies or platys, and cherry barbs come to mind! Most of the really interesting stuff that can go into a 10 gallon is high maintenance, unfortunately.

Good good!

Being an elementary class I would guess you want colorful, active, flashy fish

What about one of these?

Male betta

Endlers

Neon tetras

Kuhli loaches

Honey gourami

Sparkling gourami

Rasboras

Any of those catch your eye as pleasing to children?

Caleb

Thank you! I never thought of Kuhli loaches. Seems like kids would find them interesting as they are definitely different!

If you decide you're up for something harder you could try dwarf puffers or ram cichlids, but they need really clean water and puffers need live or frozen food.

I use to have a puffer tank. I loved it, but not sure if it is something I want to tackle away from home. Thanks for the idea though!

I third the khuli loaches. I think a livebearer would be a good learning experience for the kids. There are some very flashy and pretty endlers out there and that's not something you see everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should do a colony of multis! The kids would love them, they are so aggressive but so personable at the same time, and they live in shells, if I was a kid, my mind would be blown.

Sent via echolocation

You should do a colony of multis! The kids would love them, they are so aggressive but so personable at the same time, and they live in shells, if I was a kid, my mind would be blown.

Sent via echolocation

I second this as a really interesting option. And unlike any of the other unique 10g options, they're tough as nails and very easy to keep happy.

+1

I love multis, never had them but they sure do look cool. I think you would have to sell off the fry though, and they breed a lot! Or if you don't like shell dwellers, a livebearer tank would work to teach the kids "The Cycle Of Life" :D

Can someone give me a little more info. on multis? I had never heard of them before, but they look awesome!

Can someone give me a little more info. on multis? I had never heard of them before, but they look awesome!

I've heard of them referenced would probably only be able to pick them out due to the shells. I'm very curious as to their care etc as well. If they breed so easily and your wife is willing the could maybe be sold to lfs or a club etc and the money used for a little party for the kids. Maybe a fish theme?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't own them but here's what I know.

They are from one of those big African lakes so the pH should be pretty high, maybe around the 8.2 mark or so. To achieve this high pH lots of people used crushed coral as substrate or in a bag in the filter. I'd say it works better as the substrate. They should eat pretty much anything, but if the are finicky you could try frozen bloodworms. I hear that they are super hardy and easy to keep. This is about all I know so I'm going to let the people who actually have them take over from here lol! :D

Thank you both for the fast replies! I am very intrigued!

Shelldwelling cichlids. They live in colony groups. All they need is crushed coral sand and shells (don't give them any plants or anything). You can get escargot shells for cheap and they love it. They basically build a little fort out of sand and their preferred shells, sleep and spawn in them. They spend plenty of time outside of them though. They're really not picky at all. I have them and all I have to do is feed them and do weekly water changes. They spawn like crazy and they protect the fry viciously, so you're guaranteed to have the colony grow over time.

Here's a little video of mine:

Last edited:
Thanks! How many would you recommend in a 10 gallon? And where did you get yours? I don't think I have seen them before...

Back
Top Bottom