10gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rumcajs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got my son a 10gal tank with marineland 150b filter. I was thinking about getting 5 neon tetras 5 glo danios rerio and 5 ghost shrimp. Tank is cycling now . Will stock like that work?

Don't get the danios they are extremely active and IMO should really be in a 30 inch tank plus I don't really like glo fish. You could do something like

7- Neon Tetras
1- Zebra Netrite Snail or 3 oto cats
10- ghost shrimp.

No problem you could always look into a betta with a few tankmates to or all the nano fish species.

I like Josh7's suggestion, you could alter it a bit if you would like of course. I also wouldn't suggest any type of glo-fish (not that it really matters if WE like or dislike them- all that matters is that YOU like them) because they are genetically altered to give off the glow and florescent look. This is more of a concern on the best interest of the fish, as genetically modified fish tend to be more susceptible to health problems, which in turn can affect the whole tank. Also, I believe their life span is shortened. :)

A 10g can make a very cool nano fish and shrimp tank. I have two larger tanks of nano fish and just to name a few that would work:

Ember tetra's
Celestial Pearl Danios
Chili rasboras (they turn an intense red and are tiny enough to have larger school)
Neon rasboras (blue, green, and gold color varients)
Burmese Rosy Loaches (very active little loaches for bottom activity)
Multi Stripe Pygmy Loaches (also very active little loaches that use bottom/mid levels)
Scarlet Badis
Endler's
Spotted Blue Eyes (very entertaining little fish- males display to each other and females
with extended dorsal fins) *one of my favorite nano fish
Dwarf Anchor cats (for catfish lovers)
Pygmy or Dwarf Cory Cats

You can also do any type of small shrimp with the above fish and also Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish that are bight and fun for kids. I have Fire Red Cherry Shrimp that are very bright colored.

I have a 12g Fluval Edge right now that houses a male Betta, 10 neons, and 6 Endler Cobra males. Endler males can add a lot of color to a tank. Betta's can sometimes work in a small community tank but it just depends on the individual temperament of each betta.

Thank you all very much....love this forum!!!!

What is the best place to order nano fish online? Found some nice sites but shipping is ridiculous.

Shipping is bad, there is no way around it for the most part. If you want a lot of nano fish IMO The Wet Spot has a huge selection. I just bit the bullet and ordered all mine at the same time so I made the expensive shipping worth it.

Back
Top Bottom