15 gal column shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abstract373

Aquarium Advice Freak
so ive been struck with the shrimp bug petsmart has a 15 gal column tank im think of getting it but not sure how many shrimp i can keep in it i now they have a small bio load so the filter that comes with the tank should be fin for now. does any know a number i can work off...think its only shrimp live plant and driftwood
pPETS-9867235dt.jpg

Depends what shrimp your looking for. RCS ... Dozens upon dozens. keep in mind they'll breed) Amano about a dozen or so ... No chance of them breeding so you'd replace any that die. Ghost shrimp are also an option, again a dozen or two.

It certainly looks like a cool tank for shrimp.

Yes, totally depends on the type of shrimp. I would get some taller plants like anacharis to give it height as well. Cholla wood is awesome as well.....not just for hiding but for feeding as well.

not doing ghost shrimp i get 100 a week to feed the 75 gal carnivores im thinking colors maybe fire yellow or some blueberry maybe some orange shrimps..thinking of white sand to bring out the colors of the shrimps no to worried about over loading all i need to do is feed the eels

Any neo shrimp will pretty much stay around an inch or less. You could do like 10 per gallon.

abstract373 said:
not doing ghost shrimp i get 100 a week to feed the 75 gal carnivores im thinking colors maybe fire yellow or some blueberry maybe some orange shrimps..thinking of white sand to bring out the colors of the shrimps no to worried about over loading all i need to do is feed the eels

Just remember don't mix neo's with neo's .

Samzter said:
Just remember don't mix neo's with neo's .

That's right! They will cross breed and revert back to wild type, which is a brownish color. You wouldn't want to lose that beautiful color....

My main concern is for the plants.

That's a really tall tank (or so it looks). Without good light you'll have stem plants dying on the bottom half. Plants like Jungle Val could work, Crypt Crispatula is also an all time favorite of mine who could function similarly.

As far as Shrimp go, the limiting factor in that is what parameters. Neos like RCS won't really care what you give them. They will most likely thrive no matter what. But Caridinas to go with the Neos are where you can run into trouble.

i have some leds that are 10200 kelvin to boost the lighting as for the shrimp want the rabbit breeders so i can feed the extras to my 75 gal tank i get 100 ghost shrimp a week so need to keep with demand...lol here is its Dimensions: 13.6" x 13.8" x 24.8"

abstract373 said:
i have some leds that are 10200 kelvin to boost the lighting as for the shrimp want the rabbit breeders so i can feed the extras to my 75 gal tank i get 100 ghost shrimp a week so need to keep with demand...lol here is its Dimensions: 13.6" x 13.8" x 24.8"

You want Red Cherry Shrimp then. Although they are pretty small. They breed fast and don't care as much for water parameters.

sounds about right but not sure want some color.... why is it so hard to figure this out...lol

no thats the problem i want color ! reds blues yellows orange....if i get cross breed muts then that are ugly then they become snacks...lol

abstract373 said:
no thats the problem i want color ! reds blues yellows orange....if i get cross breed muts then that are ugly then they become snacks...lol

Good luck trying to catch any individual Shrimp in that tank hahaha

abstract373 said:
so ive been struck with the shrimp bug petsmart has a 15 gal column tank im think of getting it but not sure how many shrimp i can keep in it i now they have a small bio load so the filter that comes with the tank should be fin for now. does any know a number i can work off...think its only shrimp live plant and driftwood

While it is a cool looking tank, I wouldn't recommend it. Both fish and shrimp would be better off in a tank with a larger footprint. Tanks with larger footprints provide more swimming room for inhabitants. They also provide more space to aqua scape with. What kind of shrimp are you going to get? If you want to start breeding them, I recommend red cherry shrimp.

i figure it has space for plants and driftwood its almost 2foot tall..the shrimp i keep in my tank always like swim up and down dont see them swimming across unless there being chased to be eaten...im not sure want some color contrast not only 1 kind cross breeding maybe cool but if the become to many i can thin them down by adding them to my 75 gal where they become lunch

abstract373 said:
i figure it has space for plants and driftwood its almost 2foot tall..the shrimp i keep in my tank always like swim up and down dont see them swimming across unless there being chased to be eaten...im not sure want some color contrast not only 1 kind cross breeding maybe cool but if the become to many i can thin them down by adding them to my 75 gal where they become lunch

Cross breeding doesn't give you weird colors. It gives you natural Shrimp, brown-clear Shrimp.

What Maxwell meant by footprint, is space used in the length by width section. A tall 15 does not have the same footprint as a long 15.

That being said, I do agree with you. Shrimp do not need a big footprint at all to keep. And this tank will work well for them. It's the plants I am concerned about. Two feet is a pretty long way for light to travel through water...

If you are using this tank as a "display tank first, feed you fish with the cull second" kind of tank. I would stay away from interbreeding. You will quickly run out of colorful Shrimp. If you don't really care, do what you will.

im not to worried about lighting it comes with full-spectrum T5 light and i have 36 leds @10200 kelvin from another project that i can add on to that so the depth should be good ..as for shrimp im not sure what to get then since i want color but dont want thin it out over time and loose the genetics ...plant wise im going with the easy stuff anubias of all kinds and some type of moss carpets and alot of driftwood....so should i get cherry fire yellow blueberry or what?

abstract373 said:
im not to worried about lighting it comes with full-spectrum T5 light and i have 36 leds @10200 kelvin from another project that i can add on to that so the depth should be good ..as for shrimp im not sure what to get then since i want color but dont want thin it out over time and loose the genetics ...plant wise im going with the easy stuff anubias of all kinds and some type of moss carpets and alot of driftwood....so should i get cherry fire yellow blueberry or what?

Well. Cherry and Fire are the same Shrimp, just different grades. Yellow (and I believe Blueberry although that requires a little more research on my part) are also just color morphs of Neocaridina Shrimp. So keeping any of them together can/will result in cross breeding.

Back
Top Bottom