15 litre pyrex jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
'ello 'ello

I have the chance to use a 15 litre reagent jar as a tank (unused and sterile ;))

So I wanted to se what you guys could help me set it up? E.g heating an filtration? Possible stocks?

Thanks ;)

That's 4 gallons, so maybe a betta or shrimp or a small school of nano fish? I'm assuming it's round....there are some claims that fish have issues with round bowls/tanks, but not sure how credible they are. Probably have to go with an internal filter or a small canister depending on how the top is set up--can you post a pic?

The opening is small but I have already planned a way to get the stock in lol :)

Attachments

• image-375565808.jpg
    image-375565808.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3691182696.jpg
    image-3691182696.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 168
In that kind of footprint i really wouldnt want to add much anything. It isnt long anough for nano fish, and i have no idea how you'd filter and heat it for a betta

Sponge filter, maybe, or a small internal filter in the center....but looking at it, I'm kinda with Gboy and would stick with shrimp. You could do a heavily planted shrimp tank with a small sponge filter and small heater in that.

Gboy66 said:
In that kind of footprint i really wouldnt want to add much anything. It isnt long anough for nano fish, and i have no idea how you'd filter and heat it for a betta

Well I was thinking more of a shrimp habitat?

I could rig a sponge filter easily I imagine, planting would be awkward but do-able.

Heating wouldn't be an issues as my house is kept toasty, could always buy a heater too ;)

They make a betta bowl under the tank heater--I have no idea how well it works, but it's worth looking into.

A pair of tongs for planting? :D They make planting hemostats. I take it your hand doesn't fit through the top very well?

KaylNeko said:
They make a betta bowl under the tank heater--I have no idea how well it works, but it's worth looking into.

A pair of tongs for planting? :D They make planting hemostats. I take it your hand doesn't fit through the top very well?

Can get like 3 fingers in D:

The horrors of having big hands lol.

I was gonna use tongs for planting :)

Think maybe a sponge filter will work best an I can push it to either side once inside the jar.

Lighting would be a bottom lit tank, using LED strips to provide just enough light to silhouette the shrimps :)

Ooh, that'd look cool.

Personally, i would use the "side" that the lettering is on as the back and stick the sponge filter there then cover it all with tall (for the jar) plants, but I'm a fan of trying to disguise the aquarium equipment as much as possible *lol*.

KaylNeko said:
Ooh, that'd look cool.

Personally, i would use the "side" that the lettering is on as the back and stick the sponge filter there then cover it all with tall (for the jar) plants, but I'm a fan of trying to disguise the aquarium equipment as much as possible *lol*.

Yea that was my plan :O mind reading scary person :p

Really excited bout thing little project, as I can afford a bigger tank (saving for new flat rent)

Thinking of plants though?

What tall (in relation to the jar) plants can survive with natural light? I'll place it in my room with some window light, algae growth should feed le shrimp lol :)

I am definitely following. I would definitely go with a sponge filter. Heating could prove awkward lol A piece of driftwood with plants attached and maybe a clear glass rock/marble substrate? What kind of shrimp?
Just out of curiosity why bottom lit?

GodFan said:
I am definitely following. I would definitely go with a sponge filter. Heating could prove awkward lol A piece of driftwood with plants attached and maybe a clear glass rock/marble substrate? What kind of shrimp?
Just out of curiosity why bottom lit?

Bottom lighting for 2 reasons.

1. The size and shape would make standard overhead lighting difficult.

2. The lower part of the tank will house most activities with the shrimp due to the plants and wood etc.

I was considering RCS but I'll have to check around me for a reliable source.

The gravel will be black from my current tank, or maybe black sand? Not sure yet lol.

I'll find wood that can house a heater, with some modification if necessary :)

I'd go with the sand! Especially if you're looking at cherry shrimp or crystal shrimp--talk about a pretty contrast with the red, black, and green. ^_^

As for plants, I'd say java fern and anubias. Java fern gets some height on the leaves--I have some with leaves that are at least 6 inches high. Anubias is another good low light. Maybe some mini (not micro) amazon swords--they hit maybe 4 inches high. They're not super low light like the others, but if it's going to get a fair amount of natural light, that may take care of it. And a Marimo Moss ball--because they're awesome, and shrimp love picking the detritus off them. :D

Bottom lighting for 2 reasons.

1. The size and shape would make standard overhead lighting difficult.

2. The lower part of the tank will house most activities with the shrimp due to the plants and wood etc.

I was considering RCS but I'll have to check around me for a reliable source.

The gravel will be black from my current tank, or maybe black sand? Not sure yet lol.

I'll find wood that can house a heater, with some modification if necessary :)
Ah ok I understand. I am interested to see how it looks when it is done!

Definitely a java fern! Been wanting to use one for a while now :)

Think the moss bass may be hard to find near me, (online would be easier but pricey) Anubias are working great in my main tank so I'll consider em :)

Black sand would be a great contrast for the bright coloured shrimps.

Cant wait to get starter planning on Saturday :D

You don't need a heater for RCS. In fact, IME they thrive at lower temps. My shrimp tanks generally don't drop below 70, but RCS can survive at much lower than that. Breeding slows or stops around 65 though.

I have anacharis, water sprite, and pennywort growing in small tanks lit only with natural light.

So I've decided on a sponge filter, but now I'm wondering; should I build or buy?

And what is the quietest air pump I can get for cheap?
Build! Its so easy! Plus you can get an external air pump to up the aesthetics!

Back
Top Bottom