15g slate bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 5 gallon slate bottom that I am using for my fry tank. I love it because I dont have any substrate in it and the dark bottom makes it easy to decipher fry from waste when I clean it :)

Looks like its holding water!!! :0) I will give it a few hours and hopefully I'll be able to set it up tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-3486181292.jpg
    image-3486181292.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 76
Sand is cleaned and egg rate is down. But looks like I'll only get to fill it tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-3305252379.jpg
    image-3305252379.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2713133375.jpg
    image-2713133375.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 67
Just picked up two pieces of driftwood and a nice piece of anubias.

Attachments

• image-3098102475.jpg
    image-3098102475.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 59
Just cleaned 3 filter sponges in water so it's a bit cloudy. But so far I'm happy. Have some java moss I'm going to add to the driftwood later. Then I need to go out and get some vals.

Attachments

• image-3824937102.jpg
    image-3824937102.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 77
I have a trio of montezuma swords I might put in for breeding. they f2 (parents being wild) and have great color but I'll need to make a lid for the tank cause they are jumpers. Or I may put this breeding pair in. (forgot their name they are f2 also)

Attachments

• image-4240194795.jpg
    image-4240194795.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 74
Those are nice. Curious though, I was always under the impression that wild swords were/are green, and the bright colors we see in the trade today are the result of crossbreeding for desired traits. Yet you say those are f2 or second philial wild type, which would make them third generation crosses?

Not too sure. I questioned the guy on that too and he assured me they were from wild parents. I know my montezuma's are from wild parents.

The reds get about 6" which I haven't seen too much on domesticated swords. The male parent was about 5" just in body length. And close to double that with his sword. I've been trying to research it and haven't really seen much out there.

All done. Just need fish.

Attachments

• image-1348445227.jpg
    image-1348445227.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image-191368909.jpg
    image-191368909.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image-3609018630.jpg
    image-3609018630.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 52
Little late coming to this discussion, but the egg crate was unnecessary and may actually interfere with the plants spreading roots.

BillD said:
Little late coming to this discussion, but the egg crate was unnecessary and may actually interfere with the plants spreading roots.

I agree. But it's temporary. I'm going to make an acrylic cover for it and changing the marineland LED to ecoxotic LEDs.

As for stocking... I'm think my montezuma swordtail trio.

BillD said:

As for the egg rate at the bottom, its at the bottom of three inches of sand. I'm not too worried about root spreading, mainly only vals growing in the tank so the confinement of the runners would make pruning a lot easier. LOL

I was just worried with the weight and cracking the slate bottom. I've it that before and don't want it to happen again.

Nice tank I probably would have let the tank sit or a while longer. On average people say let it sit for a week with water in it. It was right with on of our tanks. I let it sit for an hour with water and a week later it was all over the floor again.
Hopefully everything works out though And I love the slate idea. Also isn't a fishless cycle faster....? Anyways great tank

I'm not sure. I'm goin to start dosing ammonia tonight. I've read people get it done within 2 weeks. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I usually wait a week with water too, but I got anxious!!! LOL I'll make sure I pray to the aqua gods every night!!! LOL

I used a ton of silicone and let it cure for 48 hours, do lets hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom