20 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Am looking in to getting a 20 gallon freshwater tank. Any ideas of what fish to get? I have driftwood and plants but all I need is the fish?

Patrick_Fish said:
I Am looking in to getting a 20 gallon freshwater tank. Any ideas of what fish to get? I have driftwood and plants but all I need is the fish?

Four scarlet badis, one sparkling gourami, 8 ember tetras or CPDs or chili rasboras

I have 6 cardinal tetras, 6 harlequin rasboras, 4 adolfoi cory and one betta, in 20 uk gallon living happily

image-2505664291.jpg

I seriously doubt you could find these at a Petsmart. You will be more limited to what they carry but in a 20g you could do a school of small tetras, such as neons, cardinals, glowlight (I've seen all these at our local Petsmart). A dwarf or honey gourami, I suggest honey gourami and just saw some today when I went in to return something. I've seen Threadfin rainbowfish there and they are small and suitable for a 20Long, wouldn't suggest them for a 20High tank tho. You could do a few male guppies. I suggest only males so you get more color and don't have to worry about tons of fry. Male platies would work also. Don't get any pleco's no matter how small and cute they look, they will get too big. This also goes for sharks and most catfish. You can however do 6 small Panda or Julii Cory Cats. They would make good bottom area fish. Also you could do a Bolovian ram. I've seen them stocked quite regularly. But most of all, go there and write down the names of fish you like and are interested in, then go home and do some serious research on them. How big do they get, are they aggressive, what size tank is the minimum size tank they need, are they community friendly fish. Then make a list and if need be post here to see how many of what fish you could stock. Take your time and get fish you want, don't just settle for what's available. Stock is always changing and you don't have to stock the tank fully right away. Pick and choose wisely so you get the most enjoyment from what you've chosen.

If you like catfish you could do a South American Bumble Bee Catfish I've seen those and Pet-smart and they also have Upside Down Catfish.

Rivercats said:
I seriously doubt you could find these at a Petsmart. You will be more limited to what they carry but in a 20g you could do a school of small tetras, such as neons, cardinals, glowlight (I've seen all these at our local Petsmart). A dwarf or honey gourami, I suggest honey gourami and just saw some today when I went in to return something. I've seen Threadfin rainbowfish there and they are small and suitable for a 20Long, wouldn't suggest them for a 20High tank tho. You could do a few male guppies. I suggest only males so you get more color and don't have to worry about tons of fry. Male platies would work also. Don't get any pleco's no matter how small and cute they look, they will get too big. This also goes for sharks and most catfish. You can however do 6 small Panda or Julii Cory Cats. They would make good bottom area fish. Also you could do a Bolovian ram. I've seen them stocked quite regularly. But most of all, go there and write down the names of fish you like and are interested in, then go home and do some serious research on them. How big do they get, are they aggressive, what size tank is the minimum size tank they need, are they community friendly fish. Then make a list and if need be post here to see how many of what fish you could stock. Take your time and get fish you want, don't just settle for what's available. Stock is always changing and you don't have to stock the tank fully right away. Pick and choose wisely so you get the most enjoyment from what you've chosen.

So what fish do you think would be good? I know you named off allot!

You already have platy's and swords so you have red/orange color. I'd go with a one of the blue dwarf gourami's. A school or cardinal tetra's for bright red/blue colors. The cory cats for sure. And that would probably fill a 20g to max bio-load. It would make for a brightly colored diverse mix.

Rivercats said:
You already have platy's and swords so you have red/orange color. I'd go with a one of the blue dwarf gourami's. A school or cardinal tetra's for bright red/blue colors. The cory cats for sure. And that would probably fill a 20g to max bio-load. It would make for a brightly colored diverse mix.

Thanks!

Great suggestions by Rivercats. In my 20 I have a school of neons, a school of rummy nose, one honey gourami and a single German blue ram.

azmodan said:
Great suggestions by Rivercats. In my 20 I have a school of neons, a school of rummy nose, one honey gourami and a single German blue ram.

I like that. Maybe the op could add one snail to help control the small amounts of algae they will get.

vanimal said:
I like that. Maybe the op could add one snail to help control the small amounts of algae they will get.

The apple snail, normal the only type found at Petsmart, doesn't eat algae.

emerald76 said:
The apple snail, normal the only type found at Petsmart, doesn't eat algae.

Oh yeah forgot he was limited on selection... : /

Is this your first tank? Before you get fish please read up on cyling (contrary to what the people at the fish store willl tell you, it involves more than just letting the tank run): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

A 20 gal is a decent sized for most fish. I'd go to the store, write down what you like, then come back here and tell us and we can devise a stocking plan based on what you're able to get (don't listen to the people at the fish store! lol).

librarygirl said:
Is this your first tank? Before you get fish please read up on cyling (contrary to what the people at the fish store willl tell you, it involves more than just letting the tank run): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

A 20 gal is a decent sized for most fish. I'd go to the store, write down what you like, then come back here and tell us and we can devise a stocking plan based on what you're able to get (don't listen to the people at the fish store! lol).

I am going to get 2 plattys, 2 sowrd tails, 1 blue gourami, 4 neon tetras, 3 albino Cory cats, 1 algae eater!

How should I cycle this with a 20 gallon tank?

Patrick_Fish said:
I am going to get 2 plattys, 2 sowrd tails, 1 blue gourami, 4 neon tetras, 3 albino Cory cats, 1 algae eater!

How should I cycle this with a 20 gallon tank?

Whoa. That's a little overstocked. Choose either a platy and swordtail or two platies, the gourami, six neons, and six cories.
So itd look like this-
1 or 2- platies
1 or 0- swordtails
1- blue gourami
6- neons
6- cories
I'd do panda or peppered cories instead of albinos, they stay smaller.

emerald76 said:
Whoa. That's a little overstocked. Choose either a platy and swordtail or two platies, the gourami, six neons, and six cories.
So itd look like this-
1 or 2- platies
1 or 0- swordtails
1- blue gourami
6- neons
6- cories
I'd do panda or peppered cories instead of albinos, they stay smaller.

Or could I do 3 goldfish?

Wiggles24 said:
No goldfish!!!!! 20 gallon is waaaay to small for three goldfish

Could I put two? If not what could I do what is cheap and looks cool?

Back
Top Bottom