20 gallon idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've learned that these "package" deals -- whether they be in "10 gallon starter kit" form or even with larger 55 and 60 gallon setups -- end up being more of a headache in the end; the ridiculous incadescent lamps inside the hood that came with my 10 gallon starter kit melted and disintigrated away from poor shielding from the evaporating and splashing, so if I wanted to set that tank back up I need to buy a new hood with better lighting...the internal filter that came with that tank (like I told you about, Loach) needed to be thrown away as well and replaced (with an Aqueon QuietFlow 20)...

On my Marineland "Heartland Ensemble" 60 gallon package, sure, the tank is decent and so is the stand...but the hoods this thing came with have HORRENDOUSLY poor fluorescent lighting in them, so I'm gonna have to spend more money replacing THOSE at some point...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think Zimm hit the nail on the head by saying piecing it all together is the way to go...

Piecing it out is the way to go though, Just for fun I priced out everything on petco.com you would need to set up a 20g tank using an AC filter, aqueon pro heater, delux hood/light combo, a net, prime, food - grand total $140, free shipping and tax free. this didnt include the tank but last time i was at petsmart the were $34. A combo kit would probably cost about the same but the equipment you personally pick out is usually a lot better and in the long run you shouldnt feel the need to replace anything and probably will be a lot happier with your tank.

Well, my grand final is 151 not including the thermometer, I'm going to leave my water without it because I'm in el paso, tx, and minimums don't drop bellow 72 degrees right now, and by the time I get it they won't drop more than76, but the 20 gallon long piece by piece is 150, and the 29 gallon kit costs exactly the same

Well, my grand final is 151 not including the thermometer, I'm going to leave my water without it because I'm in el paso, tx, and minimums don't drop bellow 72 degrees right now, and by the time I get it they won't drop more than76, but the 20 gallon long piece by piece is 150, and the 29 gallon kit costs exactly the same

Thermometer or heater?? Heaters are really good for stability, aquarium fish generally don't do as well when temps fluctuate, but you may be able to get away without using one for now.

Yea, I see what you mean, thanks, now I know to buy the pieces separate, thanks a lot yet again

Thermometer or heater?? Heaters are really good for stability, aquarium fish generally don't do as well when temps fluctuate, but you may be able to get away without using one for now.

Yea, sorry, a heater
Well, here in el paso, at summer the minimums are like 82 degrees, I can save up for a good heater until like august

Yea, sorry, a heater
Well, here in el paso, at summer the minimums are like 82 degrees, I can save up for a good heater until like august

Dallas isn't much different. When you have the money I suggest the aqueon pro heaters. They're ceramic so they distribute heat more evenly and are more durable than glass. Just remember to let them adjust to the tank water BEFORE plugging them in or you'll have an unreturnable, unusable, cracked piece of garbage haha

Wow, ok thanks, those sound pretty good, I'll really need it as it can get well as cold as 20 degrees

So, need everyones thoughts!

Ok, now this is my final, FINAL stock for my 20 gallon long, here it goes
5 neon tetras
3 glo tetras
4 Cory catfish
4 upside down catfish
1 dwarf gourami
12 ghost shrimp
Any thoughts, comments, thanks:)

I'd say do at least 6 neons and take out the glo tetras - I have some and they are boring, they always hide in the back of the tank. Otherwise your stock is good enjoy it!

I'd say do at least 6 neons and take out the glo tetras - I have some and they are boring, they always hide in the back of the tank. Otherwise your stock is good enjoy it!

Could I put like 4 neon tetras and four glo danios, or should I just put all neon tetras

Could I put like 4 neon tetras and four glo danios, or should I just put all neon tetras

I would do 5 neons and 4 glo danios, tetras really like 5+ in their schools and when kept with less they look more like a shoal, other than that I think the list is good, not my preference but if its yours I think it works. What did aqadvisor.com say about your stock list?

I would do 5 neons and 4 glo danios, tetras really like 5+ in their schools and when kept with less they look more like a shoal, other than that I think the list is good, not my preference but if its yours I think it works. What did aqadvisor.com say about your stock list?

Ok, thanks, sounds good:)
Aqua visor.com?

Ok, so final stock is
8 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami
4 upside down catfish
Four Cory catfish ( two green, two peppered)
Two otocinclus
12 ghost shrimp

So this is not ghetto, including the aqueous filter :lol :ROFLMAO:

OMG. What's your filter called? :ROFLMAO:

And I really wouldn't go with the upside down catfish. You won't see them very much and you'll no doubt worry whether they are eating.....
Better to have active fish that come out during the day and don't hide from you.

Back
Top Bottom