20 Gallon over stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have a 20 gallon tank (90 litres), with the following:

2 x Molly
2 x Sailfin Molly
2 x Platy
1 x Hoplo Catfish
1 x Pleco

I am thinking of getting a couople of male guppies at the weekend, will this over stock my tank?

Cheers
Henry

it is a common, but the guy at the LFS said when it gets too big he'll swap it for a small one...

stocking plans are typically based on the adult size of the fish, so you can see how this creates a dilemma in that method. I'd just get rid of it sooner rather than later, if there's no attachment to the creature in particular.

Are there any other plecos i could get that don't grow too big? (since i've had him the tank has been super clean!)

(Aparently i'm not allowed snails as they freak the missus out too much!! haha!)

Ah, just seen a common pleco can grow to over a foot!

Would even a 4" fish be ok in my tank? so far i think the biggest the otehr will get to is about 2.5 - 3"

Would a clown pleco be ok?

Thanks!

Thats all i want for now... until i move house and buy a MUCH bigger tank later this year :)

Thanks for your help!

I have in my 90 litre (20 gallon) tank

4 guppy's
6 Neon Tetra's
2 Dalmation Molly's

Gonna hopefully get a couple more bottom feeder types, not sure yet, gonna wait and ask the guy at the shop

4 guppy's
6 Neon Tetra's
2 Dalmation Molly's

Gonna hopefully get a couple more bottom feeder types, not sure yet, gonna wait and ask the guy at the shop

Mine told me to get 2 Clown Loaches - look lovely but can grown 10"!
So don't listen to everything they say!

I have a Hoplo Catfish which is a nice bottom feeder (spent his first few days with his head stuck in a plant looking dead, but is very lively now!)

Mine told me to get 2 Clown Loaches - look lovely but can grown 10"!
So don't listen to everything they say!

I have a Hoplo Catfish which is a nice bottom feeder (spent his first few days with his head stuck in a plant looking dead, but is very lively now!)

Oh I've already had that happen to me, went to Pets at Home and they let me buy Clown Loaches, they have since been returned, will now only go to the Garden Centre where I have bought all the other fish from as they know what there talking about.

samt1 said:

4 guppy's
6 Neon Tetra's
2 Dalmation Molly's

I wouldn't listen. After the "oh a rainbow shark would be perfect for a ten gallon" speech... And the "oh you don't need to cycle..." they've officially lost my trust.

I wouldn't listen. After the "oh a rainbow shark would be perfect for a ten gallon" speech... And the "oh you don't need to cycle..." they've officially lost my trust.

Well to be fair to the guy I have spoke to most at the Garden Centre he has given me good advice throughout, if I suggest getting a certain fish or plant or anything really he always has a good answer with pro's and con's for each, and has also steered me away from certain fish I have liked the look of, all of which does make me feel confident in his knowledge but we shall see! :)

samt1 said:
Well to be fair to the guy I have spoke to most at the Garden Centre he has given me good advice throughout, if I suggest getting a certain fish or plant or anything really he always has a good answer with pro's and con's for each, and has also steered me away from certain fish I have liked the look of, all of which does make me feel confident in his knowledge but we shall see! :)

I'd just take everything they say with a grain of salt. As nice as they seem, the business world can do bad things to people, and fishies!

I'd just take everything they say with a grain of salt. As nice as they seem, the business world can do bad things to people, and fishies!

Yeah I know what you mean, is good to get the advice though as I know next to nothing about all of it, hence the Clown Loach problem! :)

jetajockey said:
i suggest bristlenose plecos, they max out at around 4". With one of those you could add a couple guppies, but you'd definitely be around your maximum stock.

Bristlenose r a bit ugly looking a smaller and nicer pleco would be the butterfly pleco. I think ther the best pleco to hav and don't cost a lot and add some ghost shrimp if u don't want snails

Julii cores are cool. They get to about 2.5/3". Need 2-3 of them to make them happy. Good bottom dewellers IMO.

jeffruth said:
Julii cores are cool. They get to about 2.5/3". Need 2-3 of them to make them happy. Good bottom dewellers IMO.

Those are nice but I think pandas are better

Back
Top Bottom