20 Gallon - Over Stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

opoco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon set up right now (cycled and everything) and I've been slowly stocking it. Before I fully stock it, I'd like to know whether or not I would be overstocking. What I want the final set up to look like is x3 Assassin Snails, x10 Pygmy Corys, x10 Ember Tetras, and x15 Red Cherry Shrimp. So far, I only have 6 of the shrimp and the three snails. If I would be/am overstocking, what are some better stocking suggestions?

I plan on feeding them mainly pellets with a few ramshorns every once in a while.

Some people may disagree but generally I would say calculate you stocking like this: Shrimp=1 gallon for every 10 shrimp (unless large shrimp)
Snails=0 (unless large)
Fish=depends on the fish. But like pygmy cories I would say 1 gallon for 2 or 3.
If a fish is noticably dirty (guppy or goldfish) then count it as alittle extra. If its a clean fish (pygmy cory) count it as alittle less.
Now you could not have 3 pygmy cories in a 1 gallon tank. I didnt mean that lol But say each 3 counts as 1 gallon of water in you appropriatly large tank :)
These are general guidelines though and not set in stone

Those fish are really small. That is definitely not overstocked. If your pygmy cories are anything like mine, they will hide most of the day. Try to find tank bred if you can. Often they are wild caught and very skittish. If that's the case you'll only have embers swimming around there so it will look understocked, if anything. If there is such a thing.. ;)

Aww, I didn't know that pygmy corys were mostly wild-caught. I'll definitely try to find tank-bred if I can. Thank you for the heads-up. I would feel too bad having corys that were plucked from their homes. D:

Back
Top Bottom