20 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey im probably going to start stocking my 20 gallon long tomorrow and I have a few questions. First, could i mix some yoyo loaches and a queen/bengal loach? The fish store near me has some juvi yoyo's, but they also have a single bengal loach ive seen there for several weeks and wonder if i could mix them together and if they would school or get along okay? Also, would these loaches get along with tiger and cherry shrimp? Ive got a few i want to move to the 20g and dont want them to get eaten. Two of them are more than an inch and one is a half inch. The cherries are 3/4 an inch. Any other suggestions for fish that wont eat my shrimp ( i understand this is probably a small list)? Just wondering

No fish will get along with shrimp. All shrimp will be seen as food by fish. They may survive for a while but as the fish grow the shrimp will perish. Otos are the only fish I believe that will not eat shrimp. One thing to keep in mind, if it will fit into a fish's mouth, it can be eaten.

The loaches however can go together.

Fish and shrimp together is a bad idea. As Zagz said, Otos are easy going and have great temperaments. My friend has about 20 shrimp with 6 Otos in a 55 gallon tank. They get along well. I wouldn't trust anything else though.

If you wanted to get shrimp over any other fish, I suggest making a planted shrimp only tank. Like said above there are few few few fish that can be kept with shrimp.

For a 20G Long, I suggest fish that like to swim a lot and are active. Loaches would be a good idea, and maybe some cories. Then maybe a couple of dwarf gouramis or hatch fish. Then some kind of small school of some sort like rasboras, tetras, ect.

Alright thanks for the feedback on the shrimp. I figured as much that i would need a shrimp only tank (time to go buy another 10g--my roommate and gf might kill me now) but was just curious. Anyone know why fish wont eat ghost shrimp but other types?? If anyone read a previous post of mine a month or two ago, I had a killifish get my previous tiger and cherry shrimp, but showed no interest in the ghost shrimp, which i find odd. Oh well, ill move them soon then and get some loaches then and probably another schooling fish of some kind

That is odd. Was the ghost shrimp the same size as the ones that got eaten? Maybe the fish had a hard time seeing him since he was a ghost and all :)

yeah about half were, the other half were slightly larger...idk ive never had fish eat my ghost shrimp (except when they died), but the other shrimp lasted a day before become expensive fish food

I hate to hear that you lost the little guys. I have no idea why the ghosts were left though. I just started my first shrimp colony about a month ago. I see some eggs, so that is good news. I have a soft spot for the little water cockroaches.

yeah the first experiment was a learning experience with compatability, but now ive got a little colony of all three going (eggs on the way)...guess they are getting relocated now because i really dont feel like dedicating a whole 20g to shrimp. maybe something smaller in size

I am using 2 3 gallon eclipses right now. I have a 10 gallon setup and cycling. Will be moving them in a few weeks. You can put a bunch of shimp in a 20 gallon though!

i have a 10 gallon with a few ghost shrimp in it right now... have a couple mollys and a couple longfin tetra in it.. its been in there for almost 7 months now..

I had a 5 gal with lots of ghost shrimp and harlequin rasboras. They all got along great. Unfortunately, my shrimp didn't seem too healthy and started dieing off after a few weeks. My apple snail took care of the bodies. But the rasboras had no interest in them at all.

idk i guess ghost shrimp arent tasty. And yeah I could use the 20g for shrimp but id prefer fish

Sweet, I love Rasboras. I will have to keep that in mind! i figure small tetras would be ok too. I am afraid of buying a 2 dollar shrimp then losing it because of a hungry fish.

yeah thats a pretty crappy feeling ellisb1. although i think your fine if the shrimp is as big as the tetra

oh no i wasnt criticizing your idea or anything, i was just agreeing with you on how it sucks to lose a 2 dollar shrimp. The tetra comment was just speculation...i have no idea really--honestly the little guys might go pirhana style and maul the shrimp for all I know LOL. Im just assuming they would be good cause of the size similarities

Yeah, i know. I was just agreeing with you that it is a sad thought when you think about losing shrimp. yeah, i don't know about the tetras either. if anyone has any info on that, i would like to know. like cardinals, neons... small tetras like that.

Back
Top Bottom