20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry for all my stocking questions but I just decided to restart my 20 gallon standard. I was wondering if a single angel with some tetras is a possibility. If not I either want tiger barbs or neons can you give me some tankmates for them. Also my filtration is tetra whisper 20i

Stocking questions are good that way you know the fish are getting what they need.

IMO i wouldnt put an angel in a 20 for any long period of time. they get to be a decent size and with their finnage they would take up a considerable amount of tank space in a 20, also they would be an easy target for nipping in cramped quarters like that.

Okay then how about convicts and tiger barbs I don't think it's possible but what are your thoughts.

my source says convicts get around 3-4'', they are pretty aggressive and probably wouldnt keep them with anything else in that size tank, you could probably do a pair in there MAX. but id suggest researching it to see if it would work out.

Okay what would you reccomend for tiger barb tankmates if I got 6 or 7

some would say tiger barbs wont work in that tank but IMO they could,
and tiger barbs are awesome.

depending on if you think your tank looks full after you get the school in you could do a centerpiece fish like a gourami or something

also for the bottom some cories, a kuhli loach, or some otos maybe

( im not 100% sure on these just spitting out ideas)

Okay I don't really want a centerpiece fish but how about the barbs another school of fish don't know what and maybe some cories.

One more thought for a different stock list would 7 bleeding heart tetra and 3 upside down catfish work.

One more thought for a different stock list would 7 bleeding heart tetra and 3 upside down catfish work.
IME, upside down catfish are REALLY shy and if you only get 3, you may never see them. I never saw mine and eventually traded them for fish I could see more. However, if you do want them, I suggest getting at least 4 and making sure they have hiding spots they can go to if they want. :)
Behaviorally and bioload-wise, bleeding hearts and upside down catfish would be fine together IMO. I see you don't really want a cp fish, if you change your mind, a small gourami could be a nice option. :)
I personally keep angels in larger tanks, but some people keep angels in 20g tanks and it can work (as long as its a 20g tall).
As far as a convict with tb, I am not sure about that. Hopefully somebody with experience owning cons will chime in there, but I tend to think a 20g would be too small for this mix. :)

I may just go with barbs and gouramis then thanks for the help the catfish and tetras were just a thought.

Actually I'm really liking upside down catfish if I got 3-4 of these could I also have 6 bleeding heart tetra or would I need to choose something else as a tankmate

If you like that combo, they will be fine together. You have room for a bit more if you want it as well.
BTW, make sure to know which species of upside-down cats you are getting because there is a larger, darker species that sometimes gets sold to people instead of the nice, little ones. Just google it so you can visually tell the difference. :)

Yah I have seen those the giant upside down Asian species which are like black I already have a lfs that sells the smaller ones I'm 100 percent sure that's what they are. So I could do 4 upside down catfish and 7 bleeding hearts.

Actually can I run more stock option by you how about 1 Bolivian ram, 4 upside down cats, 6 bleeding hearts or neon tetras would this work.

Back
Top Bottom