25 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laxbro4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm upgrading from a 10 gallon to a 25 gallon aquarium in about a week. I know about the nitrogen cycle, I've had my 10 gallon for about 3 years so I have some experience under my belt. Anyways I'm planning on having a school of neon tetras, probably about 8. I'm looking for some bottom dwellers, I'm thinking some cory cats. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cories are great, but since you have some experience and the neon tetras are tiny - I'd suggest you consider Otos. If you have a good fish store nearby, and you know how to drip acclimate, and you put them in an established tank. They're known for being delicate but they are very versatile cleaner-uppers!!

I heard the warnings, put them in a tank 1 month post cycling, got them from a good store, and didn't lose a single one. The ones from PetSmart all died though. They eat biofilm, which is why the need an established tank.

Cory's are awesome. How about shrimp?
Can get more colour variety in shrimp and then still have some more fish

Thanks for the advice! I looked at ottos for my 10 gallon a while back but decided against getting them. I've seen them at my LFS, I spend a lot of my time there haha, but they're cool little guys.

I didn't even think about shrimp, they're nifty little dudes haha

25 gal you could do a pair of dwarf South American cichlids. They're cool I have german ram and they're fine in a community setup aswell as being bottom dwellers.

Should work a treat. Have you thought about doing a Rio Negra biotope? Would be perfect for neon tetras and cories.

Which cories do you fancy?

Also, a +1 on the shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

I heard the warnings, put them in a tank 1 month post cycling, got them from a good store, and didn't lose a single one. The ones from PetSmart all died though. They eat biofilm, which is why the need an established tank.

I was under the impression that biofilm took a lot longer to establish.

I'd go for:
8 neons
6 julii cories
4 otos

Nice little South American set-up

I wasn't really sure on which cories I want, there's so many haha. I do like the Julis. I like that South American set up too, I could get some driftwood and a lot of live plants and it would look pretty nice

Cool. I look forward to pics. You gonna do a photo journal?

Definitely, I'll be purchasing the tank next paycheck. It will be a few weeks before I get the fish, due to the nitrogen cycle, but I'll try to get all my plants while the cycle is going on, thanks for all the advice!

Not sure if anyone is subscribed to this thread but I purchased the tank today and I'm about to fill it upImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407956108.953339.jpg

Yeah. I'm subscribed.

Hi interested to see how it turns out im currently in the process of setting up a 29 gallon myself:)

Subscribed

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407962925.111183.jpg
Got it filled up, rinsing the sand out now

Generally last but I put my sand in last started my filter and ran it for 24 hours it was crystal clear, but it was definitely a lot harder then hardscaping first

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright it's been a couple weeks so I'll update y'all. I got 2 banana plants and some kind of sword. I'm gonna go over to lowes or Home Depot soon to see if I can find some clamp lights.

Back
Top Bottom