29 to a 50 gallon or larger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of upgrading my tank from a 29 to a 50. Here's my idea.

I have a Penguin 350 power filter. If I get the tank, can I just add the new gravel and use some of my old water and filter and start it right up? Would it be cycled if I use a bunch of my old water and add some Prime to the new?

I think it would work, but I'm no expert. Thanks!

moving the filter to a new tnk = instant cycle. as long as you don't increase the bioload for a week or 2.

I did this moving from a 20Gal -> 75 with no problems or cycle.

yay! Now I have to let go of the money. Acrylic or glass?

Does anyone have a skimmer box??? I mean, what is the point if you have a filter?

Skimmers can keep the oily looking sheen off the tank surface. I've never had the slick on the surface, except in my mini planted tank.

Otherwise, overflow skimmers for the drain line into a sump do the same thing too. Is that what you mean?

Good luck with the move. Like the Wizz says, keep the bioload the same for a few weeks, then gradually increase it. I always favored glass, harder to scratch.

I use a fluval skimmer attachment on my 304, keeps the water surface clean so at night the water still has oxygen in it (plants tend to suck the O2 out of the water at night)

lovemybarbs said:
If I get the tank, can I just add the new gravel and use some of my old water and filter and start it right up? Would it be cycled if I use a bunch of my old water and add some Prime to the new?

hey lovemybarbs,
just an fyi that 99.9% of the bacteria for a cycle is in the substrate, your filter, your decorations, etc. it doesn't float around, so transferring the old water may help because the temperature is right, and it saves money on your water bill, but it won't do anything for the cycle. i just thought you might like to know. :)

as others said, if you move the filter and substrate over you shouldn't have a cycle at all, assuming you aren't adding any livestock when you do the move. if you do you might get a mini-cycle, but still shouldn't have anything major. just make sure to not let anything dry out!

good luck,
-brent

Back
Top Bottom