30 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crypto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I was just wondering what I could stock my 30 gallon with. I plan on getting rid of all my fish, taking out all the plants, replacing the new light (Glo 2x24 watt) with old one and giving the gravel a good clean (Haven't vacuumed it since I started plants 7 months ago).

These are the fish I have all throughout the year in the tank (Not all together though and since last year in July):

Angelfish (Only one)
Black Skirt Tetra (Longfin and Regular)
Rainbow shark (Not for long though, learned my mistake)
Lampeye Tetra
Mollies (Only one)
Guppies
Platies
Dwarf Gourami
Cory Cats (Julii, Bronze, Peppered)
Cherry Barbs
Neon tetra
Bristlenose pleco
True Siamese Algae eater

If I'm missing, my apologies.

I am wanting to try something new though...... as far as stock wise.....
Not too many fish, but not too litte fish........ Not too small of fish, not too big of fish.

I was thinking a Pair of Angels and a single Female Blue Gourami or a Pair of Convicts....but I need more options that interest me or I'm getting out of the hobby for a little while...

Thanks

I wouldn't do two angels in a 30 gal, but I think one would be OK. Nor would I combine an angel with a gourami. They spend most of their time in the same region of the tank and it's a risky combo.

Some ideas for you would be: peacock gudgeons, killifish, paradise fish, betta, bolivian ram, apistogramma, harlequin rasbora, espe's rasbora, threadfin rainbows, celebes rainbow, kerri tetra, cochu's blue tetra, lemon tetra, rummynose tetra, head and taillight tetra, zebra danios, glo-fish, dadios, kuhli loaches, honeycomb catfish, oto cats, pitbull plecos, clown pleco, and zebra pleco.

Hello,

I thought I forgot a few, I've alread had Peacocks, Killis and Harles.
I was hoping you could make a stock list for me instead of what I could put in it (Because I alread know that).

And actually, I had a Angelfish and DG in the same tank before and they did perfectly fine. Others have different experiences

Hello,

I was thinking, could I do a single convict cichlid and 10-12 Tiger barbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger barbs are pretty sketchy... You could do something like this:
6 rummynose tetras
6 harlequin rasboras
6 orange laser cories
1 pitbull pleco
2 Bolivian ram

Hello,

Thanks for the list. I don't really like it though, it's quite a bunch of fish for me to get. Besides, I would have to get my LFS to order the cories and pleco. Any other suggestions?

Well really this is all up to you. If you want something new you could try schools of nano fish in there. Or you could house a pair of dwarf cichlids, try some other schools, do a biotope aquarium or maybe a species tank. It's all up to you.

Crypto said:
Hello,

Thanks for the list. I don't really like it though, it's quite a bunch of fish for me to get. Besides, I would have to get my LFS to order the cories and pleco. Any other suggestions?

There are a few you'd have to order online. Really, the best way to do this is to give us some fish you would like, and we can develop a stocking list from there. That way we don't have to guess and choose.

OK, I'll make a list
Hold on

Black Skirt Tetra (Long fin or Short)
Silvertip tetra
Serpae tetra (Long fin)
Red eye tetra
White skirt tetra (Long or short)
Congo tetra

Black Ruby Barb
Green Tiger barb
Albino tiger barb
Tiger barb

Yoyo Loach

Zebra Danio (Long fin)
Golden longfin zebra danio

Boeseman's Rainbowfish

Angelfish
Convict cichlid
Pink Convict cichlid
Firemouth cichlid

Don't worry, I don't care if it is colorful or not

Crypto said:
Silvertip tetra
Serpae tetra (Long fin)
Red eye tetra
Congo tetra

Black Ruby Barb
Green Tiger barb
Albino tiger barb
Tiger barb

Yoyo Loach

Zebra Danio (Long fin)

Boeseman's Rainbowfish

Angelfish
Convict cichlid
Pink Convict cichlid
Firemouth cichlid

Thank you! Lol. Maybe something like this:
8 zebra danios (the 2nd on on the list lol)
8 red eye tetra
1 angelfish
Any bottom feeders other then loaches that spark your interest?

Hello,

Thanks, it sounds good, except for the angel. I've had an angelfish with Red eyes, but not Zebras (Zebras can be nippy). I did list Yoyo loaches.

Crypto said:
Hello,

Thanks, it sounds good, except for the angel. I've had an angelfish with Red eyes, but not Zebras (Zebras can be nippy). I did list Yoyo loaches.

Alright, then maybe this:
6 zebras
6 black skirts
3 yoyo loaches
1 firemouth cichlid.
Better? :)

Silvertip tetra
Serpae tetra (Long fin)
Red eye tetra
Congo tetra
Congos need 40 gallons and upward.
Black Ruby Barb
Green Tiger barb
Albino tiger barb
Tiger barb
Don't keep with any long-finned fish. If you get them in schools of eight or higher it lessens the chance of agression. The difference between six and eight is very big.
Yoyo Loach
Keep five or six to a group. Make sure you have sand, don't keep with shy fish like gouramis are slow-moving fish because they are highly active.
Zebra Danio (Long fin)
These are fine. Although they have a rap for fin nipping I have only seen this when they do not have enough space to swim.
Boeseman's Rainbowfish
Too big, needs 55 gallons or more for a proper school.
Angelfish
If you want one add a juvenille last to the aquarium, it lessens the chances agression, fin nipping and chance of eating tank mates.
Convict cichlid
Pink Convict cichlid
Firemouth cichlid
A pair of one with the tank to themselves is fine. These are not the best community fish.

I wrote in the bold red. Hope thsi helps!

Alright, then maybe this:
6 zebras
6 black skirts
3 yoyo loaches
1 firemouth cichlid.
Better? :)

Sorta. The firemouth might not be the best choice with this set-up possibly.

Congos need 40 gallons and upward.

Thank you, I was wondering.

Don't keep with any long-finned fish. If you get them in schools of eight or higher it lessens the chance of agression. The difference between six and eight is very big.

Yes, I know this. I was just listing fish that I like (Including some longfinned fish. I've seen that the Longfin Zebra could co-exsist with Tigers (They were too fast for them).

Keep five or six to a group. Make sure you have sand, don't keep with shy fish like gouramis are slow-moving fish because they are highly active.

Yes, thanks.

These are fine. Although they have a rap for fin nipping I have only seen this when they do not have enough space to swim.

I think 30 gallons is enough :)

Too big, needs 55 gallons or more for a proper school.
Ok, thanks

If you want one add a juvenille last to the aquarium, it lessens the chances agression, fin nipping and chance of eating tank mates.

Yes, I know.

A pair of one with the tank to themselves is fine. These are not the best community fish.
See, I was wondering if I could possibly keep a Firemouth and Convict together in there. They would be opposite genders though (Yes, I know they can breed).
My comments in blue :D

HUKIT said:
It would be ok after it killed the rest of the fish on that list.

Lol, never mind then. I thought I saw something about them being ok... I guess not lol. All those centerpiece fish options except the angel are pretty darn aggressive.

See, that's why I am wanting to try a single convict with 10-12 Tigers. Or, If it is possible, get a single convict and single firemouth; opposite gender (I know they can cross breed)

Crypto said:
See, that's why I am wanting to try a single convict with 10-12 Tigers. Or, If it is possible, get a single convict and single firemouth; opposite gender (I know they can cross breed)

That's death lol. One convict maybe, but a pair would destroy even tiger barbs. Even if it's a firemouth and a convict, it's gonna have the same result if they're that closely related.

If your interested in convicts then a pair would work by themselves but not with barbs, the same goes for a con and firemouth while that would work fine in larger tanks but not in a 30g. I would look for Honduran Red Points or Kanna's over cons since they have better coloration and are less aggressive. I have a few pictures of HRP's in my profile page.

Archocentrus sp. "Honduran Red Point"

Archocentrus kanna

Hello,

Here, I've made a few stock lists

Stock option 1:
1 Convict Cichlid
10-12 Tiger Barbs

Stock option 2:
1 Convict
1 Firemouth (Opposite gender of convict)

I would love to have a pair of angels...

If your interested in convicts then a pair would work by themselves but not with barbs, the same goes for a con and firemouth while that would work fine in larger tanks but not in a 30g. I would look for Honduran Red Points or Kanna's over cons since they have better coloration and are less aggressive. I have a few pictures of HRP's in my profile page.

Archocentrus sp. "Honduran Red Point"

Archocentrus kanna
Is it possible to get pair of Honduran Red Points and add something else, or just those only?

Back
Top Bottom