36 Gallon Bow-front build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthewscott

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

So im super excited, I picked up a new 36 gallon bow-front for 80$ with the hood, light, heater and all!

I have really big plans for this tank, but its going to take a while to put them all into action, so its going to be quite a long build, but i hope you follow along!

I also plan on turning my current 10 gallon into an aquascape tank, so this should all be fun!

WOOP!
:fish2:

I do like the look of the 36g bow-fronts :) What are you planning on setting the tank up to support?

fouldsy said:
I do like the look of the 36g bow-fronts :) What are you planning on setting the tank up to support?

Ahhh! See i don't know yet! Haha I have my 4 badis and 4 Pygmy gourami, but they are just so tiny, I kind of want something with a little more size. And it's definitely going to be planted, but I'm still deciding what.

I'm also thinking of building a slate rock feature for the middle. :)

A rock feature would be cool. With stock lights, it might limit your choice of plants - I don't really have the money to upgrade my lights, so stick to anubias and such, but they still really adds to the aquarium and happily grow under most stock lights.

I know what you mean about wanting some larger, centerpiece fish. I'm kinda in the same position right now.

Well I will probably update the lights too. I have all the time in the world. I'm not sure which fish would get along with my current ones in a tank, but also grow bigger.. Any suggestions, my fish now won't get much bigger than an inch and a half.

This is the tank. Haha some sand on the bottom that I cleaned out, so I have an empty canvas to work with! :)

Attachments

• image-3324371559.jpg
    image-3324371559.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 308
maybe try some full size gouramis or some dwarf cichlids? I have a cycling 28 gal and eventually want to get 8 neons, 1 blue gourami and 2 dwarf cichlids (hopefully cockatoo aspistos!)

I have 1 gourami currently. He's been with neons, guppies, glofish, mollies, platys, and corys (and survived them all! one of the hardiest fish I've ever had!) and I've never had an aggression problem with him. I suppose you could get two but I'm not sure how they are with each other. My experience is that they do just fine alone.

Matthewscott said:
Would one or two full sized gouramis be alright? They wont fight? or eat my little ones?

From what I have herd you can have serious aggression problems, I would stick with one. A GBR or a Bolivian Ram would be a nice centerpiece.

GuppyLover said:
From what I have herd you can have serious aggression problems, I would stick with one. A GBR or a Bolivian Ram would be a nice centerpiece.

Sorry what's a GBR? and are rams non aggressive?

A GBR is a German Blue Ram, rams are not aggressive except when breeding and even then they are not too bad.

I've heard German Blues are a bit sensitive though so you wouldn't want to get one until your tank has been really established for a while. Any other type of ram is good or some apistos. I'm hoping to get some cockatoo apistos myself.

36 gallon bow front

I have this same tank in oak trim and I just love it! I picked up the tank and cover at a thrift sale for $35. I have invested a lot of money into all the filter and heater and aquascaping-have had it set up about 8 weeks and I am HOOKED on bowfronts! I have heard that they cause distortion in the tank but my feeling is it is more 3 dimensional than a rectangle.
I have 3 kissing gourami
3 hi fin flame tetra
2 rosy barbs
2 black skirt tetra
1 female sail fin gold molly (her mate died)
I have a common pleco in my 20 gallon tank which I will move when I have enough algae to support him.
I purchased 2 of 3 gourami, red tetras and 2 neons from a private party on Craigs list. I got 7 fish for $10. Since I had spent so much on the tank set up I thought it was a good deal. I was dubious about buying from someone I didn't know and not the lfs but turned out to be the healthiest largest species I have ever gotten. No ich, no parasites-perfect!
I had one gourami when I bought the other 2. I have never had any luck keeping more than one at a time.I knew this would be a challenge having all 3 in the same large tank. First I had 2 in the 36 gallon and determined they got along ok...waited 3 weeks and added the 3rd. The 2 I purchased from the lady challenge each other all the time- maybe once a day and they seem to have figured out the pecking order. So hard to tell sexes on the breed. The 2 I got from her are more "round" bodied and the one I had originally was more "slender"- maybe its is a female or younger-not sure. Only time the "boss" gourami gets agressive with others in the tank is at feeding time- he wants to chase others from the floating food. I feed flakes.
My tetra seem to chase each other and the barbs.
I have a 20 gallon in the bedroom which my original tank. i am now planning on a 26 bowfront or a 29H and use as a live bearing tank. I am hooked on the bowfront tho-hoping to find one on Craigs list or a garage sale but seems unlikely. I made the mistake of buying on impulse a 40 galllon black breeder tank from a second party. Its just like new but I think I will be disappointed it isn't a bowfront so I am going to sell it. Only have the tank-no cover or anything else. Will I be sorry?

My 3 gouramis are now 2. Advise you keep only 1.
Constantly challenging each other and chasing tank mates.

Ok, update. Just bought a 38 gallon so will be starting over and in my planning stages as to what to put in the tank. I am thinking a school of 6 rainbows and maybe move my tetras and one kissing gourami along with 6 platy or so. Do you think the gourami will be ok with rainbow fish? I have the 2 kissing gourami in my 36 bow front and they fight daily. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom