36 gallon upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on upgrading to a 36 gallon bow front aquarium this weekend.
I currently have a 10 gallon stocked with 3 mollies, 1 platy, and 1 snail. I know this too many for this size of tank but that is why I am upgrading. The fish are still pretty small. And to my defense, I didn't not purchase all the fish. I plan on using the water, gravel, plants and decorative items from my current tank. Obvisiously I know I will have to add more water, gravel, plants, and decorative items. I plan on transferring my current stock into the new tank right way. Is this okay?? And how soon can I add more fish? and how often?

:fish2:
my stocking goal: on top of my current stock (3 mollies, 1 platy, 1 snail)
1 dwarf gourami
4-5 cory catfish
8-10 tetras or some kind of small schooling fish
maybe a couple more snails
1 Angelfish. I know I may not be able to get the Angelfish, I have always like them and really want to get one.

Just trying to get all the feedback and advance before I get the tank.....Thanks

Velksfish said:
I am planning on upgrading to a 36 gallon bow front aquarium this weekend.
I currently have a 10 gallon stocked with 3 mollies, 1 platy, and 1 snail. I know this too many for this size of tank but that is why I am upgrading. The fish are still pretty small. And to my defense, I didn't not purchase all the fish. I plan on using the water, gravel, plants and decorative items from my current tank. Obvisiously I know I will have to add more water, gravel, plants, and decorative items. I plan on transferring my current stock into the new tank right way. Is this okay?? And how soon can I add more fish? and how often?

:fish2:
my stocking goal: on top of my current stock (3 mollies, 1 platy, 1 snail)
1 dwarf gourami
4-5 cory catfish
8-10 tetras or some kind of small schooling fish
maybe a couple more snails
1 Angelfish. I know I may not be able to get the Angelfish, I have always like them and really want to get one.

Just trying to get all the feedback and advance before I get the tank.....Thanks

Is your current 10g cycled?

Hello. I recommend that you never transfer any old water from one tank to another tank. It does not serve you any benefit. Just add new water to your new tank. There is more to be discussed with other members here about your situation

Velksfish said:
@Mrs. H2012 Yes my 10 gallon is Cycled.

All you will need to do is transfer your media from your 10g filter to the new filter. As long as you have the same fish and bioload in your new tank as you did in the 10 you will be ok, just keep an eye on your water params.

Velksfish said:
ok sounds good...thanks....how does what I want to stock in it sound??

I'm still learning about stocking, but I think that would be ok, add a few fish at a time and add them slowly so your BB has time to catch up to the new bioload. Just to give you an idea, I have a 30g community and this is my stock:
1 albino pleco
1 ballon Molly
2 adult platy fry (a red wag and a silver Micky mouse)
2 platy fry (both silver mickey mouse)
6 serpae tetras
3 longfin black skirt tetras
3 bronze cories
2 peppered cories
2 Bolivian rams
And according to aqadvisor.com my stocking level is at 98% I believe. You can go to aqadvisor.com and plug in your tank specifications and what fish you want to add and it will give you an idea of your stocking level and any compatibility issues you may have. Just remember to use this as a guideline, don't trust it 100%.

I would run the filter you have now side-by-side with your new filter on the new tank. Take a little bit of the media from the old filter and stick it in the new one so you get a jump start with the new colony as well. This is what I did and it worked like a charm. Don't forget to add some new media to the old filter to replace what you took.

Wait at least a week or two before adding new fish. You have to make sure you don't go into a mini-cycle when you start the new tank. Only add 2 or 3 at a time. Your stocking sounds ok, except for the angel.

And make sure you use all of the decor from the old tank, including a couple handfuls of the substrate. Don't use the water.

Ok. And that is kind what I was planning on doing. And I kind thought that about the Angelfish, but I think they are sweet so going to be tough not to get one. but don't want to mess my tank up so... May be a dumb question but if I had the cory or the schooling fish at different times, there won't any problem with them. If I add 2 cory one week and 2 more another or 3 guppys one week and 3 more another. they will still school together???

Velksfish said:
Ok. And that is kind what I was planning on doing. And I kind thought that about the Angelfish, but I think they are sweet so going to be tough not to get one. but don't want to mess my tank up so... May be a dumb question but if I had the cory or the schooling fish at different times, there won't any problem with them. If I add 2 cory one week and 2 more another or 3 guppys one week and 3 more another. they will still school together???

When it comes to schooling fish, I would add them at the same time. Just add all 5 cories at once but give your tank a couple weeks to adjust to bioload and test your water regularly.

Quick question. What if i were to add a betta to this new tank with the other fish that i want to stock it with? Or are the to aggressive for a community tank ?

Also what kind of Filter, heater and pump would everyone recommend for a 36 tank???

I currently have a Top Fin air-500 in my 10 gallon. But will this work in the 36 gallon tank i am getting this weekend ?

I'm no great expert, but from what I've read, bettas and gouramis don't mix well. They're from the same family of fish and get aggressive at each other. Also, a lot of colorful schooling fish a betta tends to get aggressive at because of the bright colors. They think its another betta or some similar threat. Some have said bettas and Cory cats are fine, others say disaster. That depends on the betta, but a betta and a gourami is a no no.

For filters, go with either an Aquaclear or Penguin Biowheel. You can't go wrong with either one. And always get one that is rated a little higher for your tank. You can customize the media with what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom